Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SSV - looks gr8...but

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
I believe it has been said before, but the thinnest A-pillars of any production sedan in the world were (and possibly still are even today) the good old HQ Holden.
Yes yes yes...I know the driver and passengers aren't surrounded with air bags, but if they could design something 35 years ago that was still a very strong design, why are they so damn thick now? (I'm not picking on the VE inparticular...most modern cars are like that.)
Even SAAB have thinner A-pillars, and they are capable of supporting something like three times the vehicles weight on the roof...something to do with a surprisingly large proportion of car accidents in Sweden being people hitting Reindeer (or Moose...Elk? One of them anyway...)and ending up with half a ton of animal landing on the hood and roof...

I guess after a billion bucks on the VE they ran out of development money for thinner pillars...:yeah:

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
I know the driver and passengers aren't surrounded with air bags, but if they could design something 35 years ago that was still a very strong design, why are they so damn thick now?

That's the thing - watching some of the old Holden test crash videos from 30 years ago you will see just how LITTLE roll over protection there was... We have some damn good strength as well as safety features in these modern cars we choose to drive compared with 30 years ago. If you're rather have better visibilty (which is overcome in the VE by simply MOVING YOUR HEAD) then buy a HQ :D Just don''t roll it...

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Driven a new Merc or BMW?

My Aunty's brand new Merc is on order - arrives January. When we test drove it, was about the same as the VE.

I wish people would quit bagging the VE! Even worse when it's people that own one!

I LOL'd at this post. I will give credit to the ride of the VE, but i would never take one over a BMW.
I was lucky enough to drive a 750LI through last week (boss's new toy). If you think any VE can even start to be compared to this....you are delusional lol.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
I LOL'd at this post. I will give credit to the ride of the VE, but i would never take one over a BMW.
I was lucky enough to drive a 750LI through last week (boss's new toy). If you think any VE can even start to be compared to this....you are delusional lol.

Haha! As I now laugh at you!!!

Where did I ever compare a VE to a 750LI (which starts at $239,000). If you think I would ever compare a VE to a BMW 750LI, it's not me that's deluisional!!! lol

It was up to me, and if I didn't have to think about cost, then yes I would choose a BMW M5 for sure (7 series is for grandpas). However, as I live in the real world (one where I will never be able to afford $239,000 for a car!) the E-series Holdens are fantastic value for money and I will happily settle for my current VE Calais. Come next financial year though, I think it's time to look at either the GTS or Clubby R8.

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
you are the most defensive person i have ever seen over a car. calm down

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Haha! As I now laugh at you!!!

Where did I ever compare a VE to a 750LI (which starts at $239,000). If you think I would ever compare a VE to a BMW 750LI, it's not me that's deluisional!!! lol

It was up to me, and if I didn't have to think about cost, then yes I would choose a BMW M5 for sure (7 series is for grandpas). However, as I live in the real world (one where I will never be able to afford $239,000 for a car!) the E-series Holdens are fantastic value for money and I will happily settle for my current VE Calais. Come next financial year though, I think it's time to look at either the GTS or Clubby R8.

Here ?

cousin slow poke said:
Driven a new Merc or BMW?

My Aunty's brand new Merc is on order - arrives January. When we test drove it, was about the same as the VE.

You compared them right there, you didn't say which models, but that whole structure of wording says to me that the VE is as good as BMW and Mercedes, you mentioned no model, that's the way i interpreted what you posted..

I agree, for the prices the VE is a great car(apart from them looking a little funny).

Your right the 7 series is for grandpas, but its a bloody wonderful car.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
I agree, for the prices the VE is a great car

And that is the bottom line... Everything else I (and you) have said is comparing apples with oranges.

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
if the car is the apple, whats the orange

xss001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, VE SS
Have had my VE SS for 1 week. Agree the A pillar takes a little getting used too and overall the visbility is not as good as the VT or VX I had before it. But no major drama and I haven't hit anyone yet.

No problems with the motor or anything else as yet either. The clutch and gear box are certainly different compared to VX SS I had before it but will give it and me some more time.

A mate has a SV6 and said his clutch was a bit of problem for the first few weeks but either he got used to it or it bedded in as it is ok now. He also indicated he had tyre prblems. Back tyres worn out on the outside in 30K. Having had a VX SS Series 1 with major rear camber design problems I won't be happy if I have issues with the back end.

Otherwise all is well and loving it.

Agree you need to forcefull without over doing it early. A second opinion helps particularly if it RACV but that may cost you.

Good luck but keep everyone posted.