Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SSV M6 OTR and Tune

Maltese2nv

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SSV Manual
Hey guys, I drive a 2007 VE SSV with a 6 speed manual. It has a twin 3 inch DiFilippo cat back exhaust and an Exedy heavy duty clutch. Otherwise, the car is standard. I’m looking at installing a VCM OTR and I’m unsure about the tuning. I may install extractors and high flow cats at a later stage, but not right now. Every shop I’ve called, tells me something different. Some say leave the MAF, others say go MAFless. What’s the better option? At the moment, the exhaust pops and I love it. I know others don’t like it, but each to their own. That’s my preference. I’ve been told that a tune eliminates the pops and that it’s no good for the o2 sensors and the cats, whereas the car pops on deceleration as it is on the standard tune. Even beforehand with the original exhaust, the pops were always there but they were muffled. Anyway, the series 2 LS3 VF SS’s pop from factory, as do many of the hot hatches. So I don’t understand why certain tuners are telling me it’s no good if these cars do it out of the box. If anything, I want the exhaust to crackle even more than it does now, both on deceleration and between gear changes. What do I tell the tuners to achieve this note?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
just disable the DFCO and u will crackly and pop and also use more fuel, maf of mafless dosnt matter if u want to keep it then make sure the tuner tunes the MAF and also the VE/VVE (no such thing as MAF only!!!) or if mafless then they have to tune the VE/VVE but either way u should get the same results

Maltese2nv

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SSV Manual
I never said anything about MAF only, I’m aware they need a tune regardless with an OTR, whether it may be MAF or MAFless.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I never said anything about MAF only, I’m aware they need a tune regardless with an OTR, whether it may be MAF or MAFless.
that "maf only" was for the tuners as alot think u can just tune the maf and that VE VVE is disabled, but its not so if a tuner tells u they will do just a maf tune ur getting half the job done

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

LS1 had a slightly restrictive MAF.
The MAF on a Gen 4 is bigger, and not so restrictive. Your L98 is a Gen 4.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
VVE is virtual volumetric efficiency, fueling (airflow) table when maf is removed

Maltese2nv

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SSV Manual
So if I get a MAFless tune, VVE is disabled automatically?
Sorry, I don’t know a great deal about engine tuning.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
So if I get a MAFless tune, VVE is disabled automatically?
Sorry, I don’t know a great deal about engine tuning.
no vve is never disabled its always working, u have the MAF and u have VE/VVE (same basic thing) if u keep the maf u have to tune the maf and also the ve/vve for best results, many tuners think that setting the maf to work from say 300rpm and up will be a maf only tune and not have to worry about the ve/vve but the ve/vve is always looked up especially under hard throttle transitions and if its not tuned right the ecu will swap over to use it and if its too far wrong it can be bad, also the correlation between MAF/VVE have to be within a desired amount or it will think the MAF is at fault and revert to the VVE, if u go mafless the MAF is then removed and failed on purpose so it goes into SD mode which is VE/VVE then all fueling is done on that table alone, the maf table is 2D with only 100 odd cells but the VVE is 3D with over 1000 cells