Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve ssv missing under light load

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I have a 2007 ve ssv manual and have owned it for 6 months. The car had 92k on the clock and was very original and unmolested apart from a 3 inch exhaust and xforce mufflers but original cast iron headers and cats so it has a good note.
When I test drove it it seemed fine but I noticed after a few weeks of driving at different speeds there is a slight miss that you can feel under load when you accelerate.It idles fine and starts easy and around town through the gears it pulls great ...but at certain times you can feel a light miss.
Ive tried different fuels and it’s the same...but I reckon it’s getting worse...it doesn’t have any fault codes also.
From reading about it I know it could be coils or plugs but there’s no codes and the miss isn’t pronounced and isn’t that big that it shakes the whole car . I was thinking the bigger exhaust could have changed something too.Any ideas or similar experiences?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
You don't get codes for spark plugs, replacing them would be a good first step for diagnosis.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
I thought todays spark plugs were bulletproof and rarely a issue...never had one go faulty in any of my other injected cars and my car has been serviced religiously before I had it...I was leaning towards a coil but im not sure if it would show a code for one having a partial fault ....and ive read you have to retune the car if you modify the exhaust system or change the induction to a less restrictive one...not sure if that might be a issue

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
after a few weeks of driving at different speeds there is a slight miss that you can feel under load when you accelerate

What gear / rpm / speed are you doing when this happens.

Being a manual, if you are running at too low an RPM when you accelerate you might be experiencing mechanical resistance rather than a mechanical / electrical issue.

and ive read you have to retune the car if you modify the exhaust system or change the induction to a less restrictive one

You haven't mentioned if you are running stock airbox or something else (i.e. OTR). Something non-standard may cause issues.

Aftermarket headers & cats can also cause issues but you're running stock so shouldn't be an issue for you.

Catback shouldn't cause any issues.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
Being a manual, if you are running at too low an RPM when you accelerate you might be experiencing mechanical resistance rather than a mechanical / electrical issue.
Its at a load that is past gentle acceleration and its in every gear and less pronounced when at higher speeds as you aren't really accelerating that hard over 100. And when it happens its not at a speed that is too low for the gear. As for the airbox I took the rubbish pod/induction pipe off that was on there and put a original airbox back on with brand new filter and it now looks factory. The miss was there before I changed anything and probably because Im looking for it seems more pronounced now.
It does resemble a feeling I have had before with v6 engines when a coil or lead is braking down but I haven't tried anything as I thought id put it out to find out other people experiences and avoid doing something I don't have to as I havent had the car for long.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Nothing electrical is bullet proof plugs included, buy one plug and one coil, move both new ones around together until you find the one. That's if its spark problem.

lazyc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0 M6
plugs and leads- its due.