Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SSV Redline - Cold Start Issues

Spiza666

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Ve SS Ute Sizzle Red
I just did the same to my car a couple of days ago, ran it empty then filled it up with ethanol. Drove it around a bit then let it sleep till the morning. Turned it over and works perfect without the issue, I've done about 5 cold starts since then to see if it changes and hasn't had a problem.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
whilst on petrol would be good to have a wideband hooked up and monitoring whilst it is started for the first time when it has the issue then u will be able to see what the fueling is doing and if its correct to whats being commanded durin start up and or any rich/lean events are happening then depending on the outcome u will know if its fueling or something alse, since the 02's arnt working yet and it will be in OL can only be checked with a wideband

PNR51

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportswagon MY12
So mine sat for 3 weeks with united 98 in it... starts spot on. It definitely thinks its ethanol initially for some reason on BP during a cold start. Just filled with caltex 98 to see how it goes. Not sure what the fix would be if you wanted to run BP98 and E85? I have mates who reckon their tuned cars actually havent been running as well on BP lately.

Spiza, guarantee its the same thing as many of us are experiencing with BP98. Stock and tuned cars are all doing it. Even series 1 VF's are (VF series 2 are not E85 compatible). Seems stupid that if you want your car to start normally you need to not run BP98. Holden need to come up with an answer as Im sure BP arent going to change anything.

PNR51

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportswagon MY12
Thanks 07GTS.

Given the car is still under extended warranty, I might request that they replace the e-Flex sensor if this proves to be the problem. I will post an update once the car has been looked at tomorrow morning.

Cheers

How did you go with this mate? Did holden come to the party and did replacing the sensor make any difference?

dantheman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
So mine sat for 3 weeks with united 98 in it... starts spot on. It definitely thinks its ethanol initially for some reason on BP during a cold start. Just filled with caltex 98 to see how it goes. Not sure what the fix would be if you wanted to run BP98 and E85? I have mates who reckon their tuned cars actually havent been running as well on BP lately.

Spiza, guarantee its the same thing as many of us are experiencing with BP98. Stock and tuned cars are all doing it. Even series 1 VF's are (VF series 2 are not E85 compatible). Seems stupid that if you want your car to start normally you need to not run BP98. Holden need to come up with an answer as Im sure BP arent going to change anything.

I changed over from V-Power to BP Ultimate in the last tank and found it's alot worse than it was with vpower. but with both fuels it was fine if the engine was cold but ambient temps were 30+. Maybe there's special additives added in there for summer that is causing this issue? or in general the 98 additives are causing the issue

i shudder to think of this but i think i'll stick in some shell/caltex 91 in next fill - the 91 in SA doesn't contain ethanol compared to eastern states so will see how that goes

00campbell

Reaction score
Members Ride
My12.5 VE SS Z series 2 Wagon
Hi All, newbie to the site and i am experiencing this same stupid problem with my VE ssz series 2 wagon.. Holden Dealership couldn't find any codes and its been starting to really piss me off. just after any more info on the whole e-Flex sensor. is there a way to get this removed if its causing the issue or do i simply just not use BP 98 any more?

CJHodge

Reaction score
How did you go with this mate? Did holden come to the party and did replacing the sensor make any difference?

No update on this unfortunately.

The local Holden dealer had an injector clean done on the car despite my better judgement (read, the car to me sounds like its overfuelling, which gunky or blocked injectors won't do, hence I queried how this woudl help). Low and behold, no difference. I asked them to investigate the E-Flex sensor, and they simply plugged it into the OBD-II reader, which is showing 1.2% ethanol registered.

Given I have little confidence in the local Holden dealer, I will start trouble shooting this myself. Next step is to borrow my uncles detailed OBD-II reader and see what the injectors are doing on a bad start vs a normal start, so I can isolate if it is overfuelling, and if so by how much, and work my way back from there.

Anyone else having any more luck on this?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
u really need to get a wideband sensor on there to check AFR because the injector pulse width or duty will change depending on quite a few different start temps and time ect so if u have the WB going and start it u can then see if its the same AFR as what is being commanded then u know if its a problem or not or even if its a little out it can still be fine for starting, and also monitor the flex sensor percentage at startup also and see if its reading correct of not too so u can rule that out or find issue with it, then if u find the fueling is ok then u can start to look at other areas

CJHodge

Reaction score
Yeh, I planned to grab the wideband out of the racecar and set it up on the commodore temporarily. The hardest part with it all is that the struggling to start really only occurs for a second or two, which doesn't leave a whole heap of time to monitor all the variables.

I'll report back after some testing.

MrFeelgood

Blown 5.7 inch oops Ltr
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR GTS
Wow i've been searching for ages on this exact problem.

Great read and looking forward to a resolution.

I have a VE SS Series II never had a problem using any type of fuel until the car hit around 65K and moved from Darwin to South Australia.
I notice the start more the colder (outside temp) it is, i've noticed less chugging if the car is garaged than if it's left outside overnight.
I use both BP98 and Shell 98 so i makes no difference what fuel it is.
Changed plugs & leads and it still has the same issue.

The car does not do it at all throughout the day it has to be left unstarted for over 8hrs.

My car is completely unmodified (engine & exhaust wise).