Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SSV ute exhaust rattle at idle.

Glenn Hall

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE 2010 AFM.
First rattle only happened at idle when cold and reverse was selected, it is an auto. Now the rattle happens even in park or drive. The rattle can also be produced when backing off in low gears in manual selection. First I was told it was the Cat's and then the centre muffler, Exhaust system changed to almost new 2nd hand system that fixed it for about 1 week, now back rattling as before. When the tail pipes are pushed up or down by hand with sufficient force the rattle stops. Maybe rubbers or hangers?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Might need to get it on a hoist and inspect it.
Check all the mounts, and check that none of the heat shields are loose, or touching the exhaust.

Glenn Hall

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE 2010 AFM.
Might need to get it on a hoist and inspect it.
Check all the mounts, and check that none of the heat shields are loose, or touching the exhaust.
Thanks for the reply but this has been carried out 3 times now with a complete exhaust removal and replacement with heat shields checked for clearance and loose fittings.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
You didn't put in an exhaust with bi model mufflers did you? (Even if that's disconnected)

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Sounds like the top of the cats concertina fittings, [expansion units at the top of the cats]

Glenn Hall

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE 2010 AFM.
You didn't put in an exhaust with bi model mufflers did you? (Even if that's disconnected)
No mods to the exhaust ,it is standard, but thanks for your interest. I think it may be hangers or rubbers but that means on the hoist and removal again, nothing was found faulty the first time but it did fix it for about a week.