Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SSV Wagon Manual anybody done any serious towing ?????

chocco

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SportWagon, VZ Crewman Cross 8
Hi All,

I have a SSV wagon manual with the max allowable tow bar being 1600kg. Thinking about buying a caravan but due to the braked limit of 1600kg in a manual was wondering if anyone else out there has towed something of a substancial weight with a manual and how did the clutch and gearbox hold up. If I get one I will be pushing the weight of the van and storage right to the limit.

If anyone could share their experiences good or bad that would be great.

Would I need some sought of tranny cooler for the box ???

I know I should have a auto but the missus refuses to drive a auto only a manual.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
I got a wagon and towed a car trailer with car no probs, but I have auto.

Tbh if you plan on towing a lot, you need to sort priorities out with mrs.... her refusing to drive auto is a pretty big ask, knowing that you gotta tow a large load. There's no reason a manual is mandatory, and I reckon that's a little selfish. Dont get me wrong, I love manual too... but going auto in this case is pretty much the only way to go to keep things legal. I'm sure you aware of it already, but if your intention is to get a caravan that will most likely exceed the weight limit, you'll have serious issues with insurance if something goes wrong. Big loads = auto mate. No way around it. Upgrading mechanics is one thing, but if the sticker says 1600kg, it's 1600kg... regardless of mods.

But to try and answer your question, I dont think a transmission cooler is necessary. A better quality oil would definitely help in keeping things cool though (like Redline), but that stuff aint cheap. Definitely makes a difference though. I cooked a dog box in 30min of circuit racing with 'standard' oil, but with Redline it really did make a huge difference and I lasted the whole day no worries. I think an upgraded clutch will also be necessary if it's a long trip going up adn down gears (or maybe winding roads changing up and down gears at lower speeds)... but then you also need to worry about the brakes too.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Never towed with a manual VE but from personal experience with a VYII towing 2000kgs nearly daily for 130,000km on 1 clutch, it's 90% driver 10% car. Get some right/left foot co-ordination and it'll last fine. Get it wrong and it'll get very expensive very quickly.

Reaper