Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SSV won't start/stalls when hot

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
Hey I'm in need of some help and yes I have used the search but can't find anything on V8s, only v6s.

A couple weeks ago my SSV wouldn't start after I had been driving it for around 45mins, it was cranking but coughed and splattered and wouldn't fire up. Waited 10 mins and then it started fine, ran perfectly until I got home. I didn't drive it for 2 weeks but I was starting it each day and it would fire up normally and run fine.
It did have a code which was P069e: Issue with fuel system, the guy cleared it.

The battery did go flat though so I charged it yesterday and put it back in and it started up and ran perfectly. took it for a few laps around the block and it was running great, came home and turned it off and tried to start it again. It did start but coughed and splattered for a couple seconds then died..
It got a new fuel pump 6 months ago and has been good since. It does have a couple misses though when you first start it up from cold, could this be related to the issue?

I work so much right now I can't get it booked in anywhere for a mechanic/auto elect to take a look

2012 VE SSV with 70k, 3" exhaust+headers, OTR intake and a dyno tune

thanks

FOR FUTURE REFERENCE
it was the fuel pump wiring harness causing the issue. was frying the pump so replaced it. $65 for new harness and $450-500 for a new pump

Last edited:

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
Could be a couple of things...

When were the plugs last changed? One or more could possibly be faulty... could even be a dodgy coil pack or spark plug lead

Other issues could be a crook fuel injector leaking fuel into the cylinder or even a faulty pressure regulator

Happydaze

Happydaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE T30
Crank angle sensor, my LS2 is doing the same. Issue presents when hot restart.

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
wouldn't the Crank angle code be present then? Ive been starting it daily and driving it around the block, been fine but won't start immediately after.

Today I cleared the code by unplugging the positive terminal and leaving it for 20 minutes. Drove it around the block for 15 minutes, came home and parked it. Dad asked to see what happens when it doesn't want to start so I tried again but this time it did start lol no code or anything.

He doesn't think Crank sensor, he thinks its fuel pump again because of the code but I don't think its that since it primes and works.

I will take it to a mechanic/auto elect this week and see what they have to say

Thanks for your input guys

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Does it still have the original battery?

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
I would say so, If it happens again I will replace battery. Cheap option to start with

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
If battery voltage falls below a certain point during the start cycle, the start up 'self tests' may fail to complete, which can cause system errors.

Test it by turning ignition 'on', let it complete the checks, then crank. Hopefully no errors.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
I would start with battery, then crank angle sensor, then check the wiring to the starter and crank angle sensor has not been affected by headers, then starter motor.

Wiring a new earth to the sensor and starter motor may help also.

Last edited: