Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve Statesman Startup problem

kushari

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Statesman
Hello guys and gals, I know this is not a commodore, but I saw others posting about the statesman in here as well and hope it's ok. My dad has a 2008 holden statesman (branded as the Chevrolet Caprice) here in Saudi Arabia. Recently it sometimes does not turn on. when you turn the key to make contact I hear one distinct tick noise and you have to keep trying until it works (ticking noise continues). At first I thought it might be the spark plugs, but my dad said they were new. I looked at the fuse box but I don't know how to tell if any are blown or damaged.

I also noticed that when the car does turn on, sometimes I can not toggle the traction control button, or the cruise control, however I can toggle the sport shift which i found to be weird.

Attached is a picture of the fuse board, maybe someone can help me identify which fuse might need changing or if it's not even the fuse box, Thanks in advance!

Ps. If you can't read some of the writing on the picture let me know and I'll type out what you can't read.
http://i.imgur.com/7SIPR.jpg

Last edited:

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
it sounds to me like the BCM maybe playing up, my car was turning off the esp/traction control as was traced back to a dodgy bcm.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Ticking noise when trying to crank could mean low battery voltage. When's the last time it got a new battery?

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
Turn off the car, then turn the key to the ON position but don't actually start the car, does ABS fault image display in the center screen on the dash?

kushari

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Statesman
nope, always says system check complete, even if i try to turn on the car. On another note I think the car only does it if the engine temp is cold (hasnt been started yet that day) if it has been on throughout the day it usually does not.

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
okay, well the noise you hear that ticking noise when trying to start generally means low voltage is been feed to the starter and if there is low voltage ABS should fault.

Try this also, turn to on position but don't turn the car on, apply the breaks and see if the ABS fault light comes on.

kushari

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Statesman
OK will do and report back! My dad is sleeping now and the car keys are in his room.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Make sure all your battery terminals are tight both in the boot and the engine bay (pos and neg posts).

Could also be a starter motor issue.

kushari

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Statesman
I just tried the ABS brakes, nope the light only was lit when the system check was on (all lights turn on at this point) and went away. How can I find out of it is a starter motor problem?