Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Steering Wheel Removal - How To Take Off The Airbag

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Hello All

New to the site. Found it while looking for info on changing steering wheel spokes. Just wandering............
Is the t45 bolt a normal thread or reverse?? Tried to get it off and made a mess of it!!!!!!
The torx part is rounded off now.
Need some advice.

Thanks.

Think you'll find it's a T50 aswell.

didoamanda

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Hello to you all...
Firstly Troy Thanks so much for this post I just bought a new leather wheel of Ebay and your post was just brilliant easy step by step (i'm a girl and know nothing about cars and i did it no worries)...
Just a few things i'd like to add ... I too couldn't find my airbag fuse in the passenger side of the car but under the bonnet I pulled out the F40 10 A and then disconnected one side of the battery, Once one side of the airbag was released then connect the battery back on to start the car and move the steering wheel 180 to get the hole on the other side, disconnect the battery again and do the same this side as you did the other...I also found it much easier using a nail punch than a screw driver as it fitted better and didn't get in the way of the dash at all (airbag just popped off nice) also found I needed a T50 torx not a T45 and once that unscrewed the wheel just pulls out very easy...

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Airbag fuse in passenger footwell is number one fuse top left from memory and is probably called SRS

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Hey
I just picked up a new statesman/caprice steering wheel from ebay, stupidly i assumed it would fit my omega.... don't know y. Needless to say it did not, all was going well until i tried to put the backing and the airbag back on. Neither fit (well the airbag fit but there is a big gap below it) :-(. Can i pick up a new airbag cover that will fit (just the cover coz don't wish to buy a new bag)? the caprice one is a bit longer. Also can i get a new wheel backing? and where from?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Hey
I just picked up a new statesman/caprice steering wheel from ebay, stupidly i assumed it would fit my omega.... don't know y. Needless to say it did not, all was going well until i tried to put the backing and the airbag back on. Neither fit (well the airbag fit but there is a big gap below it) :-(. Can i pick up a new airbag cover that will fit (just the cover coz don't wish to buy a new bag)? the caprice one is a bit longer. Also can i get a new wheel backing? and where from?

Airbag is a complete unit cover is not changeable.

What do you mean by the backing?

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Every VE wheel fits every VE airbag. Got pics of what you're talking about?

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Thanks for your reply :)
I have had a look and are now thinking that it is the spoke covers that are wrong. The omega ones are built in to the wheel and the caprice ones are separate silver plastic (same as the ss i think). So it is looking like i will need to replace the media controls or do some modding to make it all fit. The backing part i was talking about is the plastic cover that sits behind the wheel and and is held on by to screws, anyone know where i can get one of them?

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Ok well new caprice spoke covers are $36 + GST, not to bad at all, I will need to cut and sand them to accommodate the omegas larger media controls, that is ok I don't mind a little modding.
The rear cover is $12 + GST, so also not to bad.
Do you guys think that is all i need?

Last edited:

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Ok so I ordered the spoke covers and the backing from Shacks Freo, I will pick them up next week and will report back with photos of how i do, at the very least my omega will be unique :p