Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Steering Wheel Removal - How To Take Off The Airbag

dingdong555

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive
So, to confirm, basically -

Pull out the fuse (SRS Airbag) which is in the footwell.
Start the car and turn the wheel 90*
Disconnect the -ve battery terminal (This will just reset the radio etc... it won't screw anything else up will it?)
Wait 15min
Undo one side of the airbag
Connect the battery
Turn the wheel 180*
Disconnect the battery and wait 15min
Undo the second side of the airbag
etc...

And do bunnings have the T45 socket? Or is it pretty hard to find?

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Bunnings will have T45 i didnt reconnect battery before turning 180* just used force, it is just like not having power steering, that takes me back :)

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Sounds about right...I didn't pull fuse just disconnected the battery. Re-connected and started to turn 180 then disconnected again. The issue I had was getting a screwdriver that was long enough to apply a decent leverage but not to long that the handle hit the instrument cluster and therefore not enogh leverage to disengage the catch. I ended up putting a nearly 90 degree bend in the shaft of a crappy old flathead screwdriver which made it much easier. Be careful not to rotate the clockspring once the wheel is off. Is a bit nerveracking (but easy)....felt like defusing a bomb or something....have fun :)

dingdong555

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive
Thanks Boss! Sounds much easier than reconnecting the battery.

Sounds about right...I didn't pull fuse just disconnected the battery. Re-connected and started to turn 180 then disconnected again. The issue I had was getting a screwdriver that was long enough to apply a decent leverage but not to long that the handle hit the instrument cluster and therefore not enogh leverage to disengage the catch. I ended up putting a nearly 90 degree bend in the shaft of a crappy old flathead screwdriver which made it much easier. Be careful not to rotate the clockspring once the wheel is off. Is a bit nerveracking (but easy)....felt like defusing a bomb or something....have fun :)

Sounds like I may need to go searching for a tool the right length before I start. Cheers mate :)

Wish me luck!

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Good luck mate, just remember when you get the airbag off it will be still attached by two cables in my case i think they were blue and orange. to unplug them you must squeeze them in from the sides, Have fun and jarp is correct it is like defusing a bomb :)

dingdong555

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive
All done :)

Only remove the steering column shroud if you can't get the airbag off, as the shroud is a huge PITA to get back on (I only just found that out! Took a good 15min to get back on)

I tried to leaver out the airbag but couldn't leaver up enough as the screw driver was hitting the shroud, after the shroud was removed, it took 5 seconds per each clip. Easy as.

Remove the strip (all clipped in)

CYtEp.jpg

Remove shroud (Clipped in)

jWxDn.jpg

Insert flat head screw driver as per first page

uPnUU.jpg

Leaver up

ntwT8.jpg

Step away from the airbag......

pSHm5.jpg

The airbag cables don't have much give in them, so don't pull the airbag away from the wheel too quick, otherwise things will break, these pieces came off the airbag plugs (but the still plug in fine.)

lKIbv.jpg

Also, a picture of the T45 bit, just for reference.

Sdxmj.jpg

uH7ub.jpg

All done!

LygHg.jpg

dingdong555

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive
ok now come do mine! lol (just bought one off ebay) :p

I'm in Perth haha. If you take out the fuse and disconnect the battery, you should be fine :) Just gotta take that first step (which is what i was scared of!)

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Bummer u broke the clips...had to laugh at "step away from the airbag" :)