Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Steering Wheel Removal - How To Take Off The Airbag

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Was it a cheap torx bit? Buy a decent one and hammer it into the bolt then try again.

Damo83

VE MY09 SV6
Reaction score
Website
meettomy.site
Members Ride
VF SV6 Black Edition Sportswagon My17
[lQUOTE=leardim;2235538]so i had no luck with the vice grips, any other options? im thinking of just taking it to holden[/QUOTE]

Well mate Holden more likely will not be happy doing the job cos we all aren't really allowed to screw up the bolts . Try use the hammer to push the t50 in. And hammer a little bit at time n Descrew
It. Good luck

leardim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
OMG finally got it off!! i ended up drilling a slightly smaller hole then the torx screw and hammering the torx bit... it sounds crazy but it worked. however i dont want to use the same piece so i have ordered a new one from holden for $10, not bad. any tips on putting on the new steering wheel? like alignment etc? and does it need a lot of force to put into place?

RUF-60L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS
As far as I can remember there is only one way it will slide on, so alignment isn't an issue

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
^^ correct you should have no problems, BTW get some lock tight and a new torx bit.

leardim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
thanks for all the help guys! i will do that any recommendations the torx bit i have now is from repco..

ferjoc0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Ute
Disconnect the battery

i have found the diagram i just dont know which is the correct fuse for the airbag in steering wheel :S

Its actually easier and safer to disconnect the battery and wait 30 minutes. If you pull the wrong fuse and the bag goes off in your face you should expect a broken nose, especially if you've got any tools in your hands when it happens.

After that replacing the bag is around $300 or more.

The battery trick is far simpler.

The X Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II SV6 SIDI
Guys, I am going against the grain with the removal of the battery/fuse for the sole pupose of protecting an airbag deployment.

Some of you will have some electrical background and should know that an airbag requires the airbag control unit to "energize" the pyrotechnic device which causes the airbag to be deployed. Pulling out the connector to the airbag unit is not going to tell the airbag control unit to trigger it. All it will do it tell the ACU that the airbag is missing and will show up a fault code on the dash.

So why i still recommend people disconnect the battery, it's not to stop deployment, it is to prevent fault codes showing up on your dash.