Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Stereo upgrade problem.

boomer03

Dolphin Trainer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0 Manual
Hi all. I have upgraded my speakers to Pioneers all round, except for the subs. I'm not after severe doof doof. I just want a stronger sound. Keeping the rear subs for now. Not spending big money. I'm a tightarse.

I bought a Pioneer GMD1004 amp and am Aerpro harness for a direct plug it in.

When I plug the amp in to the head unit with the harness, it amplifies the front and rear speakers nicely, but disconnects the subs. I am guessing the output from the amp overpowers the input to the standard sub amp in the boot which apparently run off the rear speaker wires. Maybe?

My question is - I also have a Pioneer GMA4704 amp to power the subs that I haven't hooked up yet. The amp has a low power input to plug speakers directly in, but again, I'm guessing that the front amp is increasing the speaker output so the watts/amps/whatevers are too big for low input. It also has RCA inputs. So do I need an LOC? If so, where exactly do I connect a LOC? Between the head unit and the front amp? Or can I run it off the wires that input to the standard sub amp in the boot?

I hope to hell this makes sense to someone who may have had the same problem.....

Regards,

Boomer

Front amp here - https://www.pioneer.com.au/shop/car/gm-d1004/
Rear amp here - https://www.pioneer.com.au/shop/car/gm-a4704/
Harness here - https://www.ebay.com.au/p/Aerpro-T-Harness-for-Holden-Commodore-Ve-AT10VE01/13017011566

Last edited:

boomer03

Dolphin Trainer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0 Manual
Actually, Just thinking...can you run a LOC off speakers that are already being amplified?

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
You might get a proper / better answers from the audio section of this forum.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Hi all. I have upgraded my speakers to Pioneers all round, except for the subs. I'm not after severe doof doof. I just want a stronger sound. Keeping the rear subs for now. Not spending big money. I'm a tightarse.

I bought a Pioneer GMD1004 amp and am Aerpro harness for a direct plug it in.

When I plug the amp in to the head unit with the harness, it amplifies the front and rear speakers nicely, but disconnects the subs. I am guessing the output from the amp overpowers the input to the standard sub amp in the boot which apparently run off the rear speaker wires. Maybe?

My question is - I also have a Pioneer GMA4704 amp to power the subs that I haven't hooked up yet. The amp has a low power input to plug speakers directly in, but again, I'm guessing that the front amp is increasing the speaker output so the watts/amps/whatevers are too big for low input. It also has RCA inputs. So do I need an LOC? If so, where exactly do I connect a LOC? Between the head unit and the front amp? Or can I run it off the wires that input to the standard sub amp in the boot?

I hope to hell this makes sense to someone who may have had the same problem.....

Regards,

Boomer

Front amp here - https://www.pioneer.com.au/shop/car/gm-d1004/
Rear amp here - https://www.pioneer.com.au/shop/car/gm-a4704/
Harness here - https://www.ebay.com.au/p/Aerpro-T-Harness-for-Holden-Commodore-Ve-AT10VE01/13017011566

Hey mate. Did you have any update on this? How did things go? What did you end up doing.

I currently have a Sub hooked up using a Amp / LOC connected to the Rear Sub Speakers which run off the stock HSV amp.
Was thinking of using the same harness you have here, and hooking up another amp for the door speakers just like you wanted to do. But notice the harness seems to cut off the rear amp, which will mean my rear aftermarket amp will disconnect.

Last edited:

boomer03

Dolphin Trainer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0 Manual
Hey mate. Did you have any update on this? How did things go? What did you end up doing.

I currently have a Sub hooked up using a Amp / LOC connected to the Rear Sub Speakers which run off the stock HSV amp.
Was thinking of using the same harness you have here, and hooking up another amp for the door speakers just like you wanted to do. But notice the harness seems to cut off the rear amp, which will mean my rear aftermarket amp will disconnect.

Gday Xplaya. OK, here's what I found through testing and googling. The rear amp feeds off the rear door speakers. So it looks like when you install an amp to power the fronts and rear internal speakers (not the subs), it increases the power to the rears. Looks like the sub amp doesn't like the extra boost and stops working. I tried all sorts of things from changing wires from the head unit, changing the wire locations in the loom, different combinations at the original sub amp, but nothing could get the sub amp to work with the cabin speakers amplified. I ended up cutting the wires that feed into the amp and connecting them straight into the new amp which has a high input connection. Works fine. If you google VE sub amp wire diagram, a few things pop up with what colour wire does what.

The amp i bought for the fronts isn't very high powered, but it does give a bit of oomph. Probably an extra 30%, so it gives exactly what I wanted.

The rear subs I think I have one out of phase, so one is pushing while the other is pulling. I'll have a look at that when I can be bothered, but the overall feeling is that the are not the best. I'm borrowing a sub in a box from my daughter to see how that goes. I'll let you know.

The loom is perfect. The new amp plugged straight in.

The only thing you'll have to do is bypass the sub amp completely. Wire your amp in from the wires on the other side of the sub amp that feed from the back doors. And don't look at the sub wires on the speakers to find what colour wires you need. They change somewhere between the amp and the speakers. Bastards!

But, give it a go first. Do the front amp and see if it works. My car is probably haunted. Yours may work just fine.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Gday Xplaya. OK, here's what I found through testing and googling. The rear amp feeds off the rear door speakers. So it looks like when you install an amp to power the fronts and rear internal speakers (not the subs), it increases the power to the rears. Looks like the sub amp doesn't like the extra boost and stops working. I tried all sorts of things from changing wires from the head unit, changing the wire locations in the loom, different combinations at the original sub amp, but nothing could get the sub amp to work with the cabin speakers amplified. I ended up cutting the wires that feed into the amp and connecting them straight into the new amp which has a high input connection. Works fine. If you google VE sub amp wire diagram, a few things pop up with what colour wire does what.

The amp i bought for the fronts isn't very high powered, but it does give a bit of oomph. Probably an extra 30%, so it gives exactly what I wanted.

The rear subs I think I have one out of phase, so one is pushing while the other is pulling. I'll have a look at that when I can be bothered, but the overall feeling is that the are not the best. I'm borrowing a sub in a box from my daughter to see how that goes. I'll let you know.

The loom is perfect. The new amp plugged straight in.

The only thing you'll have to do is bypass the sub amp completely. Wire your amp in from the wires on the other side of the sub amp that feed from the back doors. And don't look at the sub wires on the speakers to find what colour wires you need. They change somewhere between the amp and the speakers. Bastards!

But, give it a go first. Do the front amp and see if it works. My car is probably haunted. Yours may work just fine.

Thanks alot mate. A lil worried about chopping the stock amp wiring at this time lol. But damn why did they have to be different.
I might try find a plug that might plug into the stock amp loom and see if I can go that way. But thanks again will give the loom a go.