Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE supercar

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Things like wheel track/wheel base and suspension pick up points are fundamental to the car design and can't be changed by AVESCO can they (other than the trailing arm rear axle etc) and as long as AVESCO doesn't penalise the Holden camp the new VE is going to ROCK:ranting:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
DeanoVX said:
i like how the ford camp went out and bought a VX commodore, drove it into the factory and told the engineers to build a ford version......then the BA was revealed.
but hey i am not gonna get into the whole holden and ford thing.
i love my holdens, my little bro just got a ba mkII xr6 and i have driven it a couple of times...its ok but there something about the look inside and out and the way it drives that doesnt swing me across...cant pick it yet

Thats silly man, the BA is the same car as the AU just has a few different panels so it looks less freaky (not all that many either)

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
greenfoam said:
Thats silly man, the BA is the same car as the AU just has a few different panels so it looks less freaky (not all that many either)

The BA had a whole new suspension system put in. Also the engine was changed (still an I6 but duel VCT), a whole new dash as well as the exterior changes. If it was just panels the car would never have won COTY.
You think Holden dont get competitors cars and see what they do and the level of quality they are at? It's all apart of the engineering process.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
vztrt said:
The BA had a whole new suspension system put in. Also the engine was changed (still an I6 but duel VCT), a whole new dash as well as the exterior changes. If it was just panels the car would never have won COTY.
You think Holden dont get competitors cars and see what they do and the level of quality they are at? It's all apart of the engineering process.

the BA is the Ford model with the BMW rear suspension setup, they also increased the wheel track as well i believe. the new VE should be of a much higher spec now as they are looking to compete with the European manufacturers:ranting:

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
immortality said:
the BA is the Ford model with the BMW rear suspension setup, they also increased the wheel track as well i believe. the new VE should be of a much higher spec now as they are looking to compete with the European manufacturers:ranting:

Jag suspension, Ford owns Jag and used their IRS in the BA as it was 130kg lighter.

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
vztrt said:
Ford designed nine inch diff and I believe that there was some Ford influence on the heads that are used in their 5L engines.

Just coz it's a nine inch doesn't mean it's a Ford design. As for the heads, I thought it was up to the teams to do their own head designs, not manufacturers.

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
Evman said:
Just coz it's a nine inch doesn't mean it's a Ford design. As for the heads, I thought it was up to the teams to do their own head designs, not manufacturers.

The diff is ford designed 9 inch watts linkage diff. The heads I've heard talk of this but I wouldn't argue that it is. Either way bot engines come in from the states.

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
minux said:
The BA/BF is far superior in handling etc compared to the VT-VZ. Tracks so much tidier through corners

You'd want the BA to handle better than a VT, seeing as it's a few years newer. All the comparo's I've read have picked the HSV's as the performance car and FPV' as the road car. I can't see the VY/VZ suspension being that much behind for this reason. Sure it's crude, but it obviously works really well if it can still beat the BA/BF in the performance stakes. Comfort, yeah, the Ford gets it, handling, it's really close still.

Once the suspension is stiffened, they are a new car again.

What's ya point? Put harder springs and/or different dampers in any car and they handle completelly different...

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
vztrt said:
The diff is ford designed 9 inch watts linkage diff

It's a 9" watts link yeah, but I can't find any site saying it's Ford designed...

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
Evman said:
You'd want the BA to handle better than a VT, seeing as it's a few years newer. All the comparo's I've read have picked the HSV's as the performance car and FPV' as the road car. I can't see the VY/VZ suspension being that much behind for this reason. Sure it's crude, but it obviously works really well if it can still beat the BA/BF in the performance stakes. Comfort, yeah, the Ford gets it, handling, it's really close still.

The FPV suspension is the same as the XR models (F6 = XR6T = XR6) (GTP = GT = XR8). Pretty good if you buy a base model XR6 with the same suspension as a $60,000 sports car. While the HSV has had to tweaked. Bit sad that FPV didn't make the handling of the car better as it can be done.