Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE supercar

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
vztrt said:
Pretty good if you buy a base model XR6 with the same suspension as a $60,000 sports car

Yeah but how mich does it suck having a $60,000 sports car with the same suspension as a $40,000 family car?

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
Evman said:
Yeah but how mich does it suck having a $60,000 sports car with the same suspension as a $40,000 family car?

Very true, I dont know why FPV did this. Maybe they felt that it was good enough as didn't require to be tweaked.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i believe that the 9" diff was a ford design, but can they claim the watts linkage as well??? as far as i know they have to use the manufacturers blocks i.e. GM and Ford but i believe the heads are open to the teams. i also beleive that all the teams run a modified version of the watts linkage where the central mounting point is attached to the car and is adjustable(reffered to asthe rear roll center adjustment)where as, on the original watts linkage the central mount was attached to the back of the diff casing. i also remember HSV tweaking the rear suspension by the inclusion of an extra link somewhere but what ever HSV did, didn't Holden adopted this "tweak" as standard in the following model, s2 VX i beleive. aren't the 9" diff mandatory as are the available ratios and the 6 speed hollinger and ratios as well to create "parity" between the manufacturers:ranting:

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
the diff is ford 9" and ford designed the watts linkage. my old fairlane even had it. and i saw at the beginning of the season that the holden heads weren't true cross flow like the fords so weren't making as much power, so they changed them to be more like fords.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
you got me on the cross flow design but i thought it was a givin that the ford camp generally had slightly more power then Holden but never seemed to be able to convert that to race wins

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
immortality said:
you got me on the cross flow design but i thought it was a givin that the ford camp generally had slightly more power then Holden but never seemed to be able to convert that to race wins

What the three championships dont count for anything?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vztrt said:
What the three championships dont count for anything?

yeah, they have now but in the past i mean and in the first 2 champiuonships that ford won it was only really the SBR cars that were quick, now it's more 888 racing with loundes

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
so if ford designed the watts linkage is that the reason why it always f***'s up??:yeah:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
JDZVNHSV said:
so if ford designed the watts linkage is that the reason why it always f***'s up??:yeah:

i wasn't aware the watts linkage always f***'s up, but if the car does hit a wall etc with back end it has been known to snap of one of the ends of the linkages, thats when you see the car heading for the pits with the rear axle moving from left to right under the car:w00t:

crazyspoon05

Penguin Whisperer
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VW Golf GTI (RIP The 'Bizta' VNVPVR Wagz)
I think I saw a VE race car body shell (had full roll cage but no panels except C pillars) in a factory in Bayswater (VIC) opposite the 7-11 when I was picking up some car parts today, went over to ask the guys if it was or not and they quickly pulled their shutter door down..