Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Supercars

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
vztrt said:
SO it's all been approved by the racing body?

No idea at this stage and it's not relevant. The Holden camp started work on this project many months ago with a view to the car racing in the 07 season. Shortening the wheel base is not an impossible ask although I'm sure they would want a longer one if they could get away with it.

Premature approval would also be a big mistake as far as Holden are concerned. At the moment these are non-approved cars and therefore wouldn't have CAMS logbooks and thus the teams have "free" testing as their laps aren't restricted. Once it is approved, these laps would come under the testing rules.

It's inevitable there will be some negotiation as Holden would have submitted a car that was well outside the rules to try it on and then negotiate back from there. It happens every time there is a major change between model series. To think that GMH don't have a backup plan for all the contentious (sp?) issues is naive. Thats not to say that the car will be fast, slow or indifferent - time will tell on that one.

Reaper

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
I think it sucks they're modifying the car's dimentions. The VE has great proportions for performance, and they should be able to take advantage of that. I think there were a lot of aspect of the old "V8 Supercars" times with the Torana's and Falcons, where each manufacturer had their strong points to which the cars played. It's just too controlled these days. Something like the wheelbase should be kept as factory standard.

V

vyyoot

Evman said:
I think it sucks they're modifying the car's dimentions. The VE has great proportions for performance, and they should be able to take advantage of that. I think there were a lot of aspect of the old "V8 Supercars" times with the Torana's and Falcons, where each manufacturer had their strong points to which the cars played. It's just too controlled these days. Something like the wheelbase should be kept as factory standard.

I agree completely! With the category being so tightly regulated, soon the main difference between the cars will only be the badge!!:ranting: Which is a real shame as I am a V8 Supercar fanatic!:p

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
vyyoot said:
I agree completely! With the category being so tightly regulated, soon the main difference between the cars will only be the badge!!:ranting: Which is a real shame as I am a V8 Supercar fanatic!:p

There really isn't that big of a difference now.

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
should be 07, a guy i know works for HMS and is building the chassis at present. should be next year

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Evman said:

Yeah the trouble is thems the rules and politics get in the way of logic in many cases.

Reaper

Rombles

HSVDT #1
Reaction score
Website
rombles.msn.space.com
Members Ride
HSVDT Limited Ed'n Z Series Clubsport #8-6.0L/M6
"V8 Daily Dump
14/09/2006
VE due for the Clipsal 500?

Although Holden's new VE Commodore is still a long way from being homologated, it is expected to make its race debut at the Clipsal 500 in 2007.

Touring Car Entrants Group (TEGA) chairman Kelvin O'Reilly isn't saying what specifically is yet to be addressed to ensure the VE meets V8 Supercar's Project Blueprint specifications, he has said "We've got a long way to go. We've got aero tests and a number of other areas to address ... we've got more work we're doing ourselves."

Holden fans will be anxiously waiting to see the new car hit the tracks in earnest next year. "

This was reported on the V8 Daily Dump today... (www.v8dailydump.com.au). Will be great if they can get them on track for the Clipsal!

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
How about dropping the "Supercars" idea and racing actual road cars again? That way it would actualy mean something instead of the farce that we have at the moment. Yay - something that has Holden badges and a shell that vaguely resembles a Commodore won Bathurst this year.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
klaw81 said:
How about dropping the "Supercars" idea and racing actual road cars again? That way it would actualy mean something instead of the farce that we have at the moment. Yay - something that has Holden badges and a shell that vaguely resembles a Commodore won Bathurst this year.
I like this. It would turn it into a very expensive "brute ute" style category. Reduced speeds, more spins and contact. Bring it on.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
klaw81 said:

V8SC is the most successful tin top catagory this country has ever seen. Going back to more production based stuff will mean that 1 brand will dominate till it is superseeded by somebody elses toy. What we have now is the closest racing the cars have ever been. It will always need fine tuning as models change though.

Reaper