Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Suspension Bushes - Standard Rubber ? or Nolathane ?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Dear Members,
I have that dreaded VE cluck in the front end when you go over a minor bump, or turning,:mad:
Sounds like tower bearings grinding when turning, and appears it coming from either from the tower, or under my feet. Haven't checked as yet, you sort of just ignore it.
But it does disappear when its been raining :rolleyes:
I am not sure what to replace them with, I prefer genuine type bushes, where I have a 12ton press and able to R&R the bushes.
But I'm in two minds of getting Nolathane, would they be suitable to install on a VE, and would they last as long ?, considering the originals have lasted 7 years till now, and 142,000 k/m's.
I don't know much of Nolathane.
However I did use Nolathane in my 2002 L67 VY, and happy with that,
But not sure if Nolathane is for any/every car, where some people say its personnel choice.
I'm not in to making the car look pretty underneath because, I can use either Red, Yellow, Blue or Black, bushes I don't care what colour they are, as long as they will last.

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Superpro are pretty good, pretty much all I use now. Would look at your castor rod bushes too to see if they're the issue too.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I would go Superpro over Nolathane if going down the poly bush path coz more compliant than Nolathane.

Poly bushes do provide a firmer / harsher ride, whichever brand you choose. If you want to retain the factory feel of the Calais, then rubber would be the go.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
I would go Superpro over Nolathane if going down the poly bush path coz more compliant than Nolathane.

Poly bushes do provide a firmer / harsher ride, whichever brand you choose. If you want to retain the factory feel of the Calais, then rubber would be the go.

Yep,good advice,i have Nolathane on the Front of my VN Wagon,strut bearing,control arm,roll bar etc., and its a noticably harsher ride,the rear bar doesn't seem any different to 'rubber'.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I'm another user of Superpro that gives them a big thumbs up
VS 5.0 offers great advice in his above post....
# If you want to firm it up a little and make it more responsive to drive go with the polyurethane bushes
# If you are happy with the factory handling & feel and want to keep it that way go with the standard rubber bushes

Just gonna have a little rant now
My experience with Nolathane
# I fitted Nolathane to my own and several mates Landcruiser utes in the late 90's because I could get the parts at really great prices
Within 12 to 18 months every single shackle bush had turned to crumbs and needed to be replaced
# Bought the missus a 2002 VX Sedan that had a complete front end fitout with Nolathane bushes 6 months before we bought it (receipt was in the owners books)
Those front end bushes weren't even 3 years old before the radius rod bushes started to go to crumbs as well

My experience with Superpro
I've had Superpro shackle and swaybar bushes in my VZ 1 Tonner for almost 6 years now with no issues
I replaced every single bush in my Troopy with Superpro and had no issues with it in the 5 years it was fitted before I sold it

I later found out that Nolathane had a manufacturing issue with their bushes back then, and it was rectified when they were made aware of the issue. But it was enough for me to never go near their products again

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Another vote for Superpro from me!

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Thanks for the info

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Thank you All for your input, very much appreciative for you to take time to answer my question. :)
I will organise a SuperPro Kit for the Weekend ;)