Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Suspension Noise

Ben McCann

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Hi all,

Now I know there are several threads already on what I am about to describe however I am hoping that I can get to the bottom of whatever is making this noise.

There's a link below showing the noise in its typical state (this wasn't a bumpy section of road either). It appears to be coming from somewhere on the drivers side and happens when driving over uneven surfaces although is much much louder when driving over speed humps. Its come to a point now where the car is quite frustrating to drive given that the noise is pretty much constant.

From reading other threads on the forum I was led to believe that the noise is likely caused by deteriorated strut top mounts, sway bar d-bushes or bad sway bar links. I've recently replaced the front and rear springs, struts, sway bars and end links with the following set up:

KYB Struts
SSSL King Springs (SSL Rear)
Superpro Strut Top Mount (Front)
Whiteline Heavy Duty End Links
Whiteline Adjustable Sway Bars
Whiteline Sway Bar D Bushes

Now the car handles great, very flat through corners, smooth etc. but the noise is still there. I'm not looking at keeping the car for all that much longer but given that I drive around 80km to and from work each day I'd like to be able do so without hearing the front end crashing, rattling and knocking over every undulation in the road.

Any indication on what could be causing the noise would be appreciated.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpFxOw3698U

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Control arm or radius rod bushes in front suspension? Do you get 1 load clunk when you brake hard going forwards, or after reversing and braking

Ben McCann

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
I'm thinking that it could be either of the bushes. I sometimes hear a knock when braking going forwards and then went taking off again (sounds like it's caused by the weight transfer in this case) but other than that the noise is only heard when going over bumps in the road.

weemankai

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportswagon
Have you gotten under the car yet to have a fiddle? I had a similar knock in my old WRX. It was a bush in one of the control arms. I got under the car and just touched and tried to move everything. Found the problem in 10 seconds. Could easily see the movement and could basically could recreate the noise. Give that a try?

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
There's lots of possibilities, first thought is something to do with anything polyeurathane that replaced rubber as its known to knock/squeak. Second thought is are your KYB's designed to work at the significantly reduced ride height you are running? Are you hitting bump stops etc?

Its hard to diagnose because you have changed a bunch of stuff not just one thing so it could be something or a combo of things you have changed or indirectly those things that have been changed are not making the noise but are causing it to me made elsewhere in another part of the system.

Sounds like its going to cost you a significant amount of time and money if you want to get on top of it unfortunately.

Blackduck

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE 3.6 Commodore Omega
May not be related, but I’ve come across this post whilst looking for the source of a gradually worsening noise in the rear of my 09 Omega. After a bit of stuffing around, it turns out that the Right hand, forward lower control arm was loose on the outer bolt point. This is after having it in for two alignments in a short period of time. Serves me right for being busy and not getting under it earlier. I still need to rebush the lower forward arms as they’ve copped a hiding where I drive but it’s now gone.

VE_WagonII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
Without reading every post. I just had the front end link rods replaced Source of knocking noise problem solved

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I had the dreaded suspension creaking, ended up getting really P___d off with it,
so I replaced -
Shockers,
Top Shocker Bearings
Radial Arms,
Lower Control Arms
4 Tyres and a wheel alignment,
And I still have the damn groaning noise when turning,
I am now thinking it could be the damn Rack,
Will have another look this weekend when I change the oil and filter.