Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Suspension ride quality

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
Hi all,

I have had Pedders coilovers in my VE Wagon for about 5 years now. For those familiar with Pedders coilovers, I've had the bump settings at 13F, 11R, nice and stiff and on 20inch rims (very low profile tires).

Heres my problem.

The above was my set up in Darwin - completely flat and smooth roads, no pot holes - literally.

Moved to Adelaide this year. MY GOD!!! the roads here are absolute ****....as an understatement.

Over the past 6 months, I've been turning the bump settings down, down again, down again....still again.
Changed from 20inch rims to 18inch rims for a higher profile tire.
Bump settings down, down, down.....and the other day - completely off - 0.

The ride is a lot better now that when I first got here, but its seems still really really stiff for the roads.

So, will changing to a more traditional King Spring and Monroe Shock soften it more, or much the same?

I feel I also have to change most of the suspension bushes, mostly the top strut bush, because over the past few months its copped a hammering on these roads too.

Asmodai78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
if your wanting to stick to Pedders ask them about their comfort pack, its on par with OEM ride specs

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
if your wanting to stick to Pedders ask them about their comfort pack, its on par with OEM ride specs

Nah not fussed on staying with Pedders.
More asking if a spring and shock setup will ride softer than Pedders coil overs set to 0, or I’m wasting my time changing over.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Moving away from 20's will help a lot. Outside of that you should look at MCA Street Essential coilovers, supposed to be their comfort offering and built in Brisbane.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Perhaps you can springs with lighter spring rates than what you currently have? Springs are normally measured in kg/mm the higher the number the stiffer the spring will be, not sure what you have at the moment but I would think you’d be able to get a spring with a lighter kg/mm rating

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
Moving away from 20's will help a lot. Outside of that you should look at MCA Street Essential coilovers, supposed to be their comfort offering and built in Brisbane.

Thanks RJK - I have moved to the 18’s.

Perhaps you can springs with lighter spring rates than what you currently have? Springs are normally measured in kg/mm the higher the number the stiffer the spring will be, not sure what you have at the moment but I would think you’d be able to get a spring with a lighter kg/mm rating

hmmmmm......I’d have to find out what spring rate Pedders coilovers are, and compare to something else.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Easiest way to find out would be to take a similar VE for a drive that has a Kings spring setup.
I've got the original springs and Nolathane strut tops and that feels about right on Sydney roads to me. I'd like it to be a bit stiffer around corners but it's rough enough on bumpy roads..

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
hmmmmm......I’d have to find out what spring rate Pedders coilovers are, and compare to something else.

Check with Peddars. They may have softer rate springs for their coilovers.

3_putt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute
if you’ve had your XA coilovers for 5 years there’s a good chance they may be on the way out. When I replaced my XAs for some 2nd hand KWs (they have issues as well) it was night and day difference! You can buy replacement shock cartridges for them at $250 a corner or get some MCAs that are valved for comfort over all out handling.