Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais 3.8L S
Hey all,

I’ve got a Series 2 VE SV6 Wagon 2012 and it’s been pretty good on economy getting about 10.8L/100km with about 70/30 city/country driving. I’ve had a look around and a few people seem to thinking a cold air intake plus extractors is the way to go to get better fuel economy and a little more power.

Was looking at Growler cold air intake from SS-inductions because you don’t need a tune they’re claiming improved economy up to 2L/100km which I haven’t seen many argue with https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/322971657938

Extractors I haven’t looked into as thourolt however I understand that you need a tuned ceramic set for best performance costing about $700 or so and they’ll save you up to 10% on fuel.

With the type of driving I’ve described are these 2 mods likely to bring my overall consumption to around 9.5L/100km (driving sensibly). Is it worth getting g both or do I just need 1 of these? If I get the extractors or cold air intake do indeed any additional modifications to to support either or both?

Finally I’ve heard the chains in these motors are known to have issues when you start modifying the car, is it likely to present any issues with the chains if I make these changes ?

VPFreak

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Being a 2012 you will have the 3.6 LFX engine which has integrated headers as part of the head, which means you can not install extractors.

I would also have hesitations believing you could gain 2l/100 km with a cold air intake (I could be wrong, however if the economy gain was that great Holden would fit them as standard).

The chains are fine as long as it is serviced regularly.

For economy gains make sure your air filter is kept clean, tyres at correct inflation level etc.

mike_nofx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportswagon
I highly doubt the mods you’ve described would save that much fuel, at best I guess you’d save 1L/100km.

For $1280 of mods as you’ve described, let’s say fuel costs $1.28/L that’s 1000L of fuel. To save 1L/100km it’d take 5 years to break even.

rabit29

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx series 2
Hey all,

I’ve got a Series 2 VE SV6 Wagon 2012 and it’s been pretty good on economy getting about 10.8L/100km with about 70/30 city/country driving. I’ve had a look around and a few people seem to thinking a cold air intake plus extractors is the way to go to get better fuel economy and a little more power.

Was looking at Growler cold air intake from SS-inductions because you don’t need a tune they’re claiming improved economy up to 2L/100km which I haven’t seen many argue with https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/322971657938

Extractors I haven’t looked into as thourolt however I understand that you need a tuned ceramic set for best performance costing about $700 or so and they’ll save you up to 10% on fuel.

With the type of driving I’ve described are these 2 mods likely to bring my overall consumption to around 9.5L/100km (driving sensibly). Is it worth getting g both or do I just need 1 of these? If I get the extractors or cold air intake do indeed any additional modifications to to support either or both?

Finally I’ve heard the chains in these motors are known to have issues when you start modifying the car, is it likely to present any issues with the chains if I make these changes ?
I have a VE 2012 commodore lfx z sports wagon 3.6ltr 6 speed auto and driving a bit hard I get 9.9 ltr per 100 klm but if I drive steady I get 8.9 lts per 100 klm it's all in how you drive and I only run on e10