Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SV6 air con - PROBLEMS, PROBLEMS, PROBLEMS...

stumpie

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV GTS
air cond update

Hi all,

I just need to share my experiences with the air con in my VE SV6, and maybe take some advice on where to go from here...

I bought it used from Brian Gardner Holden with 23,000kms on the clock. Told the sales guy the air con seemed warm, and he promised to have it sorted before I collected the car. It appears nothing was done and like an idiot, I drove it for a year and a half before I got so frustrated I took it back while under warranty. They said it was a software issue and upgraded the software.

A few months later, with obviously nothing fixed, I got frustrated again and took it back in. Finally they looked at it and replaced the header control assembly.

A little while later, after this still hadn't fixed anything, I took it back. They looked again, and realised the 'schroder valves' (sp?) were loose, and had leaked all the gas out. So they topped it up and replaced the valves. That worked for about a week (last September), and then it seemed to go back to not working. Unfortunately, that's where the warranty ran out. It took a few months of playing with it to realise it STILL wasn't working - seemed coolish during mornings, evenings, maybe sometimes during the day. But overall - rubbish performance.

I took it back this morning, and let them know I was over it, and none of the previous fixes had worked, and I just want to know what the heck is wrong with it. I've just been called to say that in the 5 months since it was last in to get checked 2 aircon pipes, 2 aircon seals, 1 pipe seal and 1 condenser seal have all failed, to a cost of $695 to fix.

Are they seriously expecting me to believe that all of those parts failed within the past 5 months, or am I right to believe that they didn't bother checking or testing the last time it went in. It seems they just found the first faulty thing and ignored checking anything else, and put it back on the road. What if the problem had been with the brakes??? Would they just find the first thing and put it back on the road without testing???

So short of coughing up $695 for something that I believe has been a problem all along, does anyone have any advice on where to go from here???

Thanks in advance...

Rewey

Was wondering if you had an update on that air cond problem - I'm also having issue with Brian Gardners at the moment - and have found out that they have apprentices doing Qualified mechanices work plus they quote what they think a job is worth not what holden suggest !!!

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Was wondering if you had an update on that air cond problem - I'm also having issue with Brian Gardners at the moment - and have found out that they have apprentices doing Qualified mechanices work plus they quote what they think a job is worth not what holden suggest !!!

Dealerships arent owned by Holden therefore Holden doesn't set their labour rates. Holdens labour times for warranty work are a joke and always well under quoted.

Apprentices need to do jobs in order to learn anything, that being said they should be supervised and all work checked by a tech.

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Originally - Eastern Suburbs - Melbourne, Currentl
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
As ricey said, it was a problem before your warranty expired so they are required to fix it.

Also since you mentioned your vectra...get rid of it lol, as quick as you can, I had a vectra for 2 years and bought it cheap off my mate after he had to fork out 6k for a reconditioned engine. I had several electrical/computer issues with it, then 2 months after I sold it I talked to the guy I sold it too it had died.

Rewey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore SV6
Update: Well, I finally called on Friday to find out what was going on with my car. I wanted to wait to see how long it would take them to contact me (after all - it's their customer service on display here, not mine), but it was getting to be beyond a joke. I spoke to someone, and they said they had no idea about my car or what was happening with it. I was told they'd look through the paperwork and get back to me. I have still not heard back.

It's now been 12 days since I took the car in, and no-one has called me about it since the day I took it in.

I'll let everyone know as I find out more...

Regards,
Rewey

Rewey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore SV6
Another update: No word yet.

I wasn't going to bring this up, but I'm getting more and more frustrated by this whole situation - on the day I took the car in they called me to say they were going to submit a warranty claim to Holden for the work, due to the history of the issue. But then he called 2 hours later and said "I've typed up the request and all I have to do is press enter... but my manager has read this post and isn't very happy...". He then went on to suggest that Holden might not honour the warranty claim if they read my post here. I took it almost as a threat that if I didn't apologise they weren't going to help me.

Do you think that has something to do with why it's taking so long, or no-one seems to want to contact me for an update?

I felt like saying "if your manager is reading through this forum, maybe he wants to find my very first post from 2009 that was trying to find out, surprise, surprise, why my goddamn air conditioning wasn't working... Here it is in 2012 and I'm still trying to get the issue sorted". But of course I didn't think about that until later...

But seriously - that's what internet forums are for, right? One, for seeking advice of people with similar issues and two, to vent when you're frustrated? If the manager is actually unhappy with the post, he's free to make a right of reply on the forum to counter my story, right?

Regards,
Rewey

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
They would be wise to fix your problem as this one subject thread can become multiple subject threads advising people to go elsewhere.

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline and LTZ RG Colorado
I'd be questioning why the manager has time to trawl on forums rather than managing a service department/dealership.

What the manager should realise is that if they do a good job, it will be reported here. We already know about the pain in the arse Rewey has gone through, so a happy ending can only help the reputation of that dealership.

Rewey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore SV6
Update: Well I called this morning, and the receptionist said she would pass my details on to John Gardner himself. He called within 20 minutes, went through the issues. He went himself down to the service department to find out the story, and called me back 10 minutes later. Just called me again to say problem solved and the car will be ready this afternoon.

It's restored my faith a great deal. He outlined a couple of issues he's had, but steps he's taken to solve it. It's actually refreshing to have such a frank discussion with someone who really makes things happen. I suppose when it's your family name on the roof, you don't want other staff dropping the ball...

But I will always be surprised by being called at work to be told they weren't happy with my post. That staff member has been moved on already according to John. Possibly a good thing...

Thanks everyone for your input and advice - it's been invaluable...

Regards,
Rewey

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
Congrats with getting a result, I just got my aircon fixed today aswell (check myride thread), you wouldn't believe some of the quotes I received...clowns. ended up costing me $260 all up when I was told $700 + maybe another $1100 for a new compressor. So you are definitely not the only one mate..take some comfort in that.

stumpie

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV GTS
Hmmmm

Update: Well I called this morning, and the receptionist said she would pass my details on to John Gardner himself. He called within 20 minutes, went through the issues. He went himself down to the service department to find out the story, and called me back 10 minutes later. Just called me again to say problem solved and the car will be ready this afternoon.

It's restored my faith a great deal. He outlined a couple of issues he's had, but steps he's taken to solve it. It's actually refreshing to have such a frank discussion with someone who really makes things happen. I suppose when it's your family name on the roof, you don't want other staff dropping the ball...

But I will always be surprised by being called at work to be told they weren't happy with my post. That staff member has been moved on already according to John. Possibly a good thing...

Thanks everyone for your input and advice - it's been invaluable...

Regards,
Rewey

Well at least you got a result - I've been trying for sometime to get my on going problem resolved with Gardners - Brought the car from them new 18 months ago HSV GTS. Love the car just sick to death of trying to get it fixed correctly and their customer service is shocking. The service manager I spoke to a few weeks back was awesome couldn't help enough - but unfornantly it seems his hands are being tied and the staff they have won't do anything in making his job easier by taking ownership of the problem. I've been in the place when John Gardner lets rip at his staff and couldn't believe how agressive, orragant and rude the man is - I reckon he may have some issues with himself before blaming his staff for everything - just glad I don't work there.

Anyhow have finally had the car fitted at another dealer and up to yet all is going well. Sorry Gardners but you have lost my business plus everyone I know with a Holden.