Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ve sv6 automatic gear stick base

joshubraa

SV6
Reaction score
Members Ride
07 SV6
hey guys just wondering if anyone had looked into putting A leather boot like the manuals have over an automatic one.. i just think the whole surrounding looks a bit cheap and boring..

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
illegal if you can't see gear selector display....

on the other hand who would even know/notice

Matt_27

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE
Iv also thought about doin this. Only thing im thinkin is if you put the manual shifter knob on aswell how it will connect up with the auto stick. Auto shifter is held in place with a small pin. Any one know what holds the manual one in place?

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Pretty certain you'd need to use a custom boot if you were going to do this. The manual one will not fit at all, as the base of the boot is on a plastic frame which screws into the underside of the console facia - it's the right size for the square hole in the manual facia but won't come close in the auto.

joshubraa

SV6
Reaction score
Members Ride
07 SV6
frustrating.. i thought i would be able to buy the maunual gearstick with boot surround and then just ditch the manual gear stick and put the auto one in it.. so you dont think its worth a try then tinsnips?

has anyone got any other suggestions?

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
not if the only option is grabbing the manual boot. Won't come close. Could get an aftermarket boot and knock up a custom frame for it (or if the missus is handy with a sewing machine just grab some leather/vinyl) - You can pick up boots from the various parts stores like repco, etc - as to their quality, no idea. I haven't pulled apart a VE auto console so am not sure on how things clip in there. The manual has 4 screws that attach to the underside of the facia, then the facia just clips in to the console (whole facia just pulls up) - I imagine it's not too dissimilar but there would be more going on there with the auto.

Pull it up and see what you think - I don't imagine it being crazy difficult.

When I get my car back I'll put up a photo of the boot to show you the shape - but the frame is pretty much square so I can't see it fitting straight into the auto. And you'd need some kind of frame as the boot itself has nothing to fasten onto - the frame makes it hold its shape.

Matt_27

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE
Would the manual frame be the same size as the auto? ie swap them over so the manual boot has something to clip/connect onto?

Matt_27

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE
Sorry man I meant like replace the console fascia part aswell as the frame it connects too. I presume they wud be the same size and swap over easily.