Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SV6 - CANBUS + HID Kit = any issues?

QRI05E

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 M10 - Nitrate
If i decide to HID, i will be purchasing the H7 and H11 Kit from AE International and thenwill buy a 55W 6000K kit off ebay for the high beams.

I might purchase a set of the HIR 75W 4300K globles and give them a go.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Now if you are considering HIDs, I've been messing around with them for a few months, and I have learnt a lot. I hope this is helpful.

They are certainly very bright, though there are lots of downsides. The first of course is that unless you have a car with projector lamps, self levelling suspension, and headlight wipers, HIDs are illegal.

If you must have HIDs.. higher number means bluer it does NOT mean brighter. 4300k or 5000k will get you the best light.

Its not as simple as that either. HID lamps have a different focal length than H4... the light source is in a different physical place within the light. This means that a reflector which is designed to focus the light from a H4 globe in a particular way is not capable of focusing the light from a HID in the same way, because the light source is in a different place.

Looking at your links for HIR, it looks like they will have the same problem.. the light source is not in the same place as the originals. I don't have a VE though, my assumption is they normally use H4/H1 as well? If they do, then HIR are going to have all the same problems as HID.

It throws some light in the wrong direction, which is why HIDs get such a bad rap from other motorists.. its throwing it straight into their eyes. You can compensate for this to some degree by adjusting your lights further to the left and lower than normal. This will stop you from bothering other motorists, but you will lose a lot of the advantage of having them in the first place, because they aren't aimed right!

They are still better than standard lights though, even adjusted like this.

I removed the 8000k 35w HID high/low beam and replaced them with Philips Extreme Vision H4s. I've left the 10000k HIDs in the high beam for now, but when I get a Round Tuit, I will buy 5000k 55w HID for the high beam.

Since I dont need high beam around town, I was able to readjust my lights again, and the Philips globes are great.. and legal..

This is what they look like now.

dakster-albums-undercoat-picture120624-19.JPG

When I hit the open road, the HIDs now correctly adjusted in the high beam are awesome. They still throw some light in the wrong direction but if I blind a couple kangaroos I am not going to cry. I am careful about dipping my lights early though, I wouldnt like those things pointing at me. Looking forward to getting the 5000k 55w HID , that will be spectacular.

I don't have the option of buying projector lights for my VS.. if you can get them for your VE you are mad not to in my opinion.

QRI05E

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 M10 - Nitrate
The H7 (Low Beam) HID kit from AT International have a little black spot on the bottom of the HID globe to prevent light scatter.

Look at the pic I posted of the VE SV6 at night with the HID's in the reflector headlamp... The light pattern looks perfect!

QRI05E

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 M10 - Nitrate
I must say they look smokin! :smoking:

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
The H7 (Low Beam) HID kit from AT International have a little black spot on the bottom of the HID globe to prevent light scatter.

Look at the pic I posted of the VE SV6 at night with the HID's in the reflector headlamp... The light pattern looks perfect!

Been for a drive in that car? Or had it drive toward you? The light pattern wont be perfect, the source of the light is not in the right place within the reflector. Its called physics...

Sounds like you have already decided though, so its your call - you want them, get them. Just do yourself a favour and don't go any higher than 5000k :) .

astroham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking
hey man i have them in mine same year and model as it happens... not an issue at all ... although as some people are saying there is a problem with blinding other drivers in your low beam ... options are either buy a set of projector headlights (like from the ssv and calais and stuff) or apparently some profesional installers can change the way they are mounted in the headlight or some **** someone i know was going on about .... but i think your best bet is the projector headlights ... i havent done it yet (yes i know im a douche) but i am going to when i can afford it

wake jake

Reaction score
Members Ride
SIDI SV6 Ute
Real quick snap this morning when I got in the car before work. Shows the basic idea

79c24253.jpg

QRI05E

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 M10 - Nitrate
Is that with projector or reflector headlamp?