Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SV6 Fuel Consumption...?

ng82sam

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
Hi Guys,

Just picked up my 08 VE SV6 Commodore last week and on my 2nd tank of fuel.

I'm really shocked. Filled up a full tank of E10 - cost me $105 (@ 1.350/L) and managed to get 410kms out of it. -

I don't drive crazy or heavy footed.

What I want to know is how is everyone else doing with fuel consumption? Is there anything I can do to make the SV6 a lil better on fuel? Eg cleaner injectors?

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Hi there and welcome.

Anyway a few questions.

Is your VE stock or might the previous owner have added modifications?
When was it last serviced?
How long ago was the air filter replaced?

fjwb

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 cv8
How many k's on it? If the spark plugs are overdue for a change it will be low on power and have excessive fuel consumption.

schwanm

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SV6
I did 650km today with an average 7.8L/100km highway driving

Air filter makes the biggest difference for me

burleighboy86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SV6 A6
As showbags said, don't use E10. **** fuel. I don't even put 95 in it, although the misses has a couple of times and I could tell, so I always put BP Ultimate in. I generally keep it above half full, so I couldn't really say how many k's I get out of a tank, but around town consumption reads around 11.5-12L/100km.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I have always found full to empty is the best fuel consumption ever with the HQ better miles per gallon than topping up.

Last edited:

ng82sam

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
Hi EVeryone!

Appreciate all the helpful comments!

Mine is definite STOCK. Last service done last week. Oil and oil filter change and no air filter changed as the "white" filter element looked really clean.

Car has done 94k kms and I'm not sure when the spark plugs were last changed. Is it hard to change them on these or is it quite straight forward like a 4 cylinder. (This is my first V6)

I really can't justify paying for anything more than E10 to be honest with petrol prices at their record highs.

Thanks

DECIMATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
E10 is a horrible fuel, it isn't monitored so the ethanol content can get up to 30%. The ECU will just end up pumping in heaps of fuel as the O2 sensors will be reading 30% less. So there for you will be going through lots of petrol, be down on power. Clogging up spark plugs and O2 sensors.

Simply putting 98 in it will not fix the fuel consumption problem. Will you need to wait till you have had 3 or 4 tanks of 98 so all the ethanol is out of the system. Then change spark plugs. Then I wouldn't be surprised if the engine light comes on in the next 5,000ks reading an O2 sensor fault. So you'll need to get them replaced too.

MattSV6VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Red VE SV6
i use 98 and i have my moments of hooning around and i still get around 500ks per tank and it cost me $108 to fill up roughly on $1.63 ish?, unless thats the sidi helping out?