Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve sv6 gearbox rattle problems

Lt dan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt 5.0L
I have a ve sv6 with 6spd aysin gearbox at idle with the clutch out there is an audible rattle when the clutch is pushed in it stops. Also in first and second under 1800rpm it makes a rattle then too most noticeable when going around a round about or taking off from the traffic lights.

At first I thought it was timing chain.

I have been told that it's the single mass flywheel that is making the noise is this correct and is there anyway to dampen or quiten the noise

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
^^^ Helpful post.

Single mass flywheel won't make a noise, it's just a big lump of metal. Unless it was moving around on the crank (which you'd probably know if it was), there's nothing on a single mass flywheel to rattle (dual mass on the other hand might). Pressure plate could be moving around but I think you'd also know if it was a problem that big.

It's most likely to be the thrust bearing or your spigot bush, or possibly the input shaft but I highly doubt it. Thrust bearing is a consumable which usually gets replaced when you do the clutch, same for spigot. Either way it's a gearbox out job. Not as bad as it sounds in a manual.

If it is the thrust bearing it's not a super huge deal though.

Last edited:

Lt dan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt 5.0L
^^^ Helpful post.

Single mass flywheel won't make a noise, it's just a big lump of metal. Unless it was moving around on the crank (which you'd probably know if it was), there's nothing on a single mass flywheel to rattle (dual mass on the other hand might). Pressure plate could be moving around but I think you'd also know if it was a problem that big.

It's most likely to be the thrust bearing or your spigot bush, or possibly the input shaft but I highly doubt it. Thrust bearing is a consumable which usually gets replaced when you do the clutch, same for spigot. Either way it's a gearbox out job. Not as bad as it sounds in a manual.

If it is the thrust bearing it's not a super huge deal though.

Thanks for the info, would that explain the rattling/vibration at low rpm. Between 1200 and 2000rpm it's present at low acceleration then completely stops. If I take the car out of gear and rev through the range it's not there at all. It's got me stumped and Holden have no clue

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
As per R_J_K I'd think thrust bearing. I've noticed this quite common in manual cars. My VX R8 is manual and I've had similar noise for a long time, I've mainly noticed this at idle with the clutch out though. Eventually after many years I had a whirring noise when the clutch pedal was pushed in, then I thought it was going to be an issue if not fixed, so new clutch time.

AJS000

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota GT86 (Previously VE SV6)
I have a ve sv6 with 6spd aysin gearbox at idle with the clutch out there is an audible rattle when the clutch is pushed in it stops. Also in first and second under 1800rpm it makes a rattle then too most noticeable when going around a round about or taking off from the traffic lights.

At first I thought it was timing chain.

I have been told that it's the single mass flywheel that is making the noise is this correct and is there anyway to dampen or quiten the noise

You ain't the only one who first thought Timing Chain LOL

joshua russell

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 ve sv6
hi guys have pretty much same problem. got a clutch kit done, clutch flywheel and through out bearing replaced.. got car back from mechanic and had the rattle straight away. I think they might have done me over. they said I had a year warranty but hesatent to take it back any ideas what I should do....

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
hi guys have pretty much same problem. got a clutch kit done, clutch flywheel and through out bearing replaced.. got car back from mechanic and had the rattle straight away. I think they might have done me over. they said I had a year warranty but hesatent to take it back any ideas what I should do....

Take it back,
If its not right, it has to fixed under warranty.