Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SV6 leather door trims

WhiFi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Hey all,

Simple question first - were leather door trims a factory option on a 2008 VE SV6?

My 08 SV6 has leather seats and leather door trims. It's as I purchased it, second hand, from ex-govt car auctions. I am the cars second owner, previously it was a NSW Area Health Service vehicle.

I went to my local Holden dealer service dept this morning to get a couple of things sorted out under the remaining factory warranty. One issue was the leather on the door trims look to have shrunk back at the edges. It's like the leather was cut a shade too small and you can just see the mesh backing at the top where the leather edge was glued to the backing. They agreed it was a problem but immediately looked to find a reason to not cover it, including the car not being serviced within the past 6 months despite it only having done 6000 kms since the last service. (What that has to do with faulty door trims, I have no idea.) The door trims were faulty when I bought it. They then accepted my car and later called me up tell me that the trims were not original and might have been a dealer option and I would not be covered by factory warranty, but they would fix the other items (high mount LED brake light fault and software update to fix airbag warning).

It didn't sound right to me. I figured when the car was purchased, someone ticked the leather option meaning factory seats and door trims. I immediately called Holden customer support and posed the question. "Were leather door trims a factory option for this car?" They didn't answer directly but said they would make some calls and get back to me. Holden then contacted the local dealer who had my car and concluded between them that the door trims were not original and would not be covered. The dealer then called me up to break the news. Fair enough if they are right, but I still think it's sus. My original question remains if the door trims were a factory option and if so then shouldn't the factory cover them?

If anyone has an insight, I would appreciate it.

astroham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking
Yes leather pack included doer trims ... I was going to get it but the ball and chain wouldn't let me

WhiFi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Thanks, I am seeing a trend emerging... I think I have a case to put it back to holden. The only stumbling block may be if leather was a dealer option not a factory option... Surely factory?

Nikkojoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
AE86, VE M6 UTE, Toyota 86
Can you post a pic of the door trim? Can probably see if it's original or an aftermarket job.

Edit:

I was looking on carsales and found a few sv6's with leather. Factory leather should have a stitching along the crease line on the door trim such as these two:
here

and here

This other one caught my eye though, seems to have red inserts in leather (may have been a factory option, but all others ive seen are just black) and door trims have no stitching on the crease line:
here

Last edited:

WhiFi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Thanks for that. Mine are all black with stitching either side of the join. I have included a close up pic to showing the problem at the top of the leather panel. The plot thickens!

Attachments

• 100_1224.jpg
    100_1224.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 923
  • 100_1222.jpg
    100_1222.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 2,267

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I have a copy of the original Commodore brochure which was published when the VE was first released. Leather trim is indicated as an option on SV6's and says nothing about it being a dealer installed option. Given the number and size of components involved, it's hard to believe it would have been dealer installed anyway.

WhiFi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Thanks everyone. I think I have enough evidence to take forward to Holden. Ticks me off that Holden took the dealers opinion that it wasn't OE and didn't investigate further... I will report back tomorrow once I have spoken to them. Thanks again.

EraserHead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 - Alto Grey
I ordered the option leather trim on mine. However, when it arrived at the dealer 6 weeks later, it had cloth trim from the factory. Dealer screwed up on their order. Anyway the dealer swapped trims with another new stock SV6 that had leather. It took them 2 days, but it looks perfect. So even though mine does not have leather trim code on the plate, it is definitely bought from new with it as my dealer receipt shows... Maybe this is what happened to yours, so go back and check with the selling dealer maybe?