Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SV6 Test Drive (FINALLY!)

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
Well yesterday I finally managed to get some spare time and got to my Holden dealer to test drive the new VE. The two demos they had available were the Omega and SV6 (in Ignition).

I originally went to the dealer to check out the VE Calais as the first time I went in, they didn't have one. This time they did. In fact I was most impressed at the range of VEs they had to look at. The Calais is a VERY impressive car and the extra appointment levels over the functional and sports (SV6 and SS, SSV is a luxury sports) models are immediately obvious and, I think, work really well in the car.

After thoroughly checking out both the Calais and SV6 I have most definitely decided that I prefer the Calais. BUT that said, it's extra price means the SV6 might still be a better option for me. I can always add extra the Calais has (such as the sliding armrest/centre console lid) by making a trip to the spare parts guys... Although I do like the extra leg support the seats in the Calais provide over the SV6.

Anyway, on to the test drive of the SV6 (unfortunately an auto).

First of all, Ignition is a colour that truely isn't appreciated until you see it in person. It was the first time I had seen an Ignition VE.

I slid into the driver's seat and oriented myself, taking time to take everything in. The first thing I noticed was the exterior rear view mirrors are somewhat smaller than any Commodore I have previously driven - a minor thing as I soon realised this didn't have an adverse affect. Then THAT park brake lever. I am a huge fan of how it's integrated into the styling however the ergonomics of releasing it aren't comfortable. Although it could just be a 'getting used to it thing'. I was worried about those massive airbag concealing A pillars being a blind spot but it was never an issue during the drive... Now, the spoiler on the SV6 is the smallest out of the SV6, SS and SSV so I'd be worried about driving an SS or an SSV as the spoiler certainly restricts a clear view behind. Again, something I would have to get used to.

The first thing I personally noticed is the response of the electronic throttle. It's a lot more touchy than my VX but it responded nicely to my imputs... And yes, I gave it a bit ;) The active select doesn't respond quickly enough to shift changes and won't **** down agressively at all. If you want a REAL drivers car, stick to the manual.

The truely impressive part of the drive was the stability. ESP is a dream and even though I was concentrating on trying to sense when it was kicking in, I couldn't. The car was stable with my foot planted through every turn. So I switched it of and got it taily, you know, just for some fun ;)

Oh I haven't mentioned the best part yet. Head turning factor... EVERYWHERE I looked people couldn't get enough of a look at it. Although test drives have probably been going on for quite a while now, everyone was looking.

Bottom line... Despite what has been said elsewhere and what people say on value and making the decision, this is a truely impressive car. If you fall in love with one as much as I have remember this - you only live once and you can't take money you save by not buying one with you when you die. Enjoy yourself now! I will be... Sure, I could buy another house but why when I can have the smile of my life in the driver's seat of a VE :D

Kevhaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 6sp Manual
Yeah they are a lovely car to drive certainly a step up from previous model in my point of view and i actually love the ignition colour but every one has there own opinion it would be a boring world if we all liked the exact same thing

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
i like the ignition, its different like the hothouse green was on the vy's, anyway i hope u like ur new car scotty