Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SV6 throttle lag

JASv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 2010 Series 1
Hi,
How do I fix throttle lag problems when accelerating my VE SV6?

adclawrence

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Calais 3.6
Had the throttle body replaced today on my V6 Calais and it’s much more responsive now. Acceleration was dodgy and there was no engine light up but it would sorta jolt you around and the revs would surge and hesitate for no reason. And it made whining and grinding noises before starting and after turning the car off.

JASv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 2010 Series 1
Thanks for the reply adc,
The lag creates the engine to rev out if put foot down too quickly when trying to overtake. There is about 15mm play in the pedal before I get power....
It wouldn't hurt to replace throttle body at 187k anyway and go from there. Was thinking about a throttle controller and then heard they put more strain on engine and stretch the timing chain. Stretch timing chains are known on VE anyway without something else adding to it.

JASv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 2010 Series 1
It's great the throttle body has fixed your surging and grinding etc problems. That sounds full on especially when you don't know why that would be happening. I don't have any warning lights either.

HSVBMW

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh vn vt
Sprint booster....simple and effective. It just reduces the range of pedal parameters...eg 1 inch of pedal movement becomes 1 cm of pedal movement.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
All the throttle controller does is quickens up throttle response, it does not put strain on the engine, no difference from a spring booster effectively

JASv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 2010 Series 1
Cheers for the feedback guys,
Yeah, a mechanic told me it strains the engine, good to hear other opinions on throttle controllers.
Sprint boosters sounds great and ill checkout the throttle body

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Tried cleaning your throttle body?

that would be my first thought too , to the OP the VE has a fly by wire throttle body , so don't manipulate from the engine, take off the intake piping to the throttle body and turn the ignition on but do not start car , have a mate push the throttle pedal to the floor and spray throttle body cleaner or similar into the open throttle plate give it wipe with a disposable cloth or if it's really gummed up use an old toothbrush , that might solve the problem .
good luck

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
that would be my first thought too , to the OP the VE has a fly by wire throttle body , so don't manipulate from the engine, take off the intake piping to the throttle body and turn the ignition on but do not start car , have a mate push the throttle pedal to the floor and spray throttle body cleaner or similar into the open throttle plate give it wipe with a disposable cloth or if it's really gummed up use an old toothbrush , that might solve the problem .
good luck
My ve (v8) has the same fly by wire throttle body setup I clean my throttle body by pushing the butterfly open with my fingers and has never caused any problems although the best way is to take it right off the car especially if it’s really dirty