Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SV6 Ute Exhaust?

LachieKb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute
G'day fullas, been looking for some sort of setup to get a bit more volume out of my ute without making it sound like ****. I'm not really interested in a full catback or straight throughs or anything ridiculous, I just want a refined, slightly lower, slightly louder note that doesn't sound shitty (although I wouldn't rule out a catback or similar if it gave that effect). I've heard that the stock rear mufflers off the SS sound alright without being stupidly loud, but I don't know if they'll be quite loud enough. Anyone have these installed or have a video they can share? Or any other suggestions for something similar?

Also if anyone knows, what specifically are the differences between the SV6 and SS systems? Is the SSV different again? Which would sound the best? Also will any stock sedan system fit straight onto a ute?

Cheers

Zehq

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SV6 Black
No-one makes SV6 systems because there's like two people that actually want them.

To answer your question though I have a sedan and had redback mufflers and they were pretty ****. I ended up getting a 2 1/2" manta catback from one of the guys on this forum and I reckon it sounds pretty damn nice for an alloytec. I'm happy with it.

Anyway, here's what mine sounds like with a bit of revving.

Main thread:
https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...sive-fun-happy-time-exhaust-thread-11.179079/

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
I'm working on a little something involving vacuum actuators and some OEM components.

In my ute, i've managed to get a set of E1 Maloo Bimodals to fit, and even without the actuators plugged in they sound fkn mint, if a little quiet.

Next thing i'm designing is an active centre muffler bypass so that the centre muffler will be bypassed under hard acceleration, but will partially close the valves under cruising. Basically, you'd only hear it get barky under hard accel. The issue with all V6s (and indeed all VEs in general) is drone. Droning is pretty shite in these cars as the rear floorpan (where the fuel tank is) in the sedans/wagons is plastic, so sound can easily pass through it. This is why many V6 owners tend to not swap their exhausts out as they're loud, drony and annoying. V8s have some real balls to them, V6s don't really.

Utes however, get a pass because they've got a big-ass glass window and a cabin that's closed off and really far away from the mufflers.

Don't expect your V6 to sound like a V8 no matter how hard you try. I want the sound of my exhaust to sound like a meatier 370Z exhaust... Which if you've ever heard a 370Z with some decent pipes on it, sounds bloody terrifying.

A cross-pipe would also add some much needed active scavenging to your system. You'd want to place it as close to the cats as you can, whilst also allowing for easy exhaust removal. This usually involves either removing the centre muffler or moving it down the line slightly so that the pipes can clear.

Once it's built i'll be happy to post videos in this thread.

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
Also, to add.

SV6 and SS pipe diameters are exactly the same. 2.25" HSV models ditch the centre muffler for more growl.

Muffler restrictiveness is as follows.
SV6 is the most restrictive. Basically garbage unless you're looking to pass pits.
AFM SS (Single outlet to two tips) is identical to the V6 and is pretty damn restrictive.
Pre-AFM SS (twin outlet and tip) is pretty nice and is generally the go-to for most V6 guys on a budget.
E1 Maloo/Clubsport bimodal pipes (if you can find them, get ones that fit and don't mind a little dicking around with your vacuum system) are the nicest OEM ones you can get, imho.
E2/E3 Maloo/Clubsport pipes won't fit without a rear bumper conversion. (which would be pretty ricey on a V6)
VF2 SS Bimodals are all Electric and are a pain in the ass to wire up in a VE/VF1, but they have really nice tips on them that add little pops and bangs to the exhaust under decel. Have yet to see someone game enough to get these to work on any other car.