Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve sv6 weirdly not turning over or starting

SadSv6oWn3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6 commodore
Hey guys first time posting here so I may not explain things to well

Me 2006 ve commodore has a weird starting problem, it either won't turn over or when it does it won't start.
first of all I can tell when it's not gonna start because the key won't unlock the car and if I use the key to unlock it'll set the alarm off and I can't turn it off, and if I put the key in the ignition and turn it, nothing happens at all, battery's brand new, all terminals are tight, and grounds seem algood and I have got new battery's in the keys and even bought new keys which at the time fixed things but now it's back to square one.

To explain the not starting; i can turn the key and nothing will happen but if I quickly flick the key to start then off a few times it'll eventually turn over but won't start and run

It does have a code but for a stretched timing chain which may have something to do with the ecu not letting me start the car??

Also every now and then it'll start and run like nothing was ever wrong then I'll shut it off and it won't go again

Any help would be much appreciated as it's been happening for a while, if u want to know anything more I can try my best to answer them

h8tensv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6 2002 VX 1989 VN 5 Litre
Sounds like the BCM (body control module) is stuffed. I remember seeing other posts about this and was a problem in early VE Commodores. Use the search box just below where you log in and search the forum for similar posts. Locking and unlocking problems and not starting is caused by the BCM.
To get that problem repaired if it's that you will need to take it to Holden. You can't just replace the module yourself. New one needs to be programmed to the car and keys programmed as well.
Good luck and let us know how you go.

SadSv6oWn3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6 commodore
Sounds like the BCM (body control module) is stuffed. I remember seeing other posts about this and was a problem in early VE Commodores. Use the search box just below where you log in and search the forum for similar posts. Locking and unlocking problems and not starting is caused by the BCM.
To get that problem repaired if it's that you will need to take it to Holden. You can't just replace the module yourself. New one needs to be programmed to the car and keys programmed as well.
Good luck and let us know how you go.
Cheers mate will look into that, I had a search around and couldn't find anyone that solved this issue yet, will keep posted about how I go.

Is there a way to completely bypass or get rid of the bcm or just what's stopping me from starting it??

h8tensv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6 2002 VX 1989 VN 5 Litre
Unfortunately the BCM controls the central locking, immobiliser and a lot of other functions of the car. It can't be bypassed. It needs to be replaced. Try getting a quote from Holden and see what they say. Depending on the condition and kms on the car it might work out more than what the car is worth.