Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE t56 ratio and rating???

5000gt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS M6 Ute
Was wondering if the T56's in the VE's were upgraded or are they the same as in earlier ls1 equipped commodores?

What are the ratios and what is the torque rating?

Cheers.

Gambel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV Wagon
T56 – six-speed manual. Standard on SS and SS V combined with 270kW peak power 6.0L V8. Manufactured by Tremec in Queretaro, Mexico.

■Shorter gear ratios – three to eight per cent overall
■Improved launch feel, better acceleration and overtaking performance
■Increased synchroniser capacity in all gears reduces shift effort and allows faster shifts
■o 1, 2 triple synchronised compared with VZ double synchronised
■o 3, 4, 5, 6 double synchronised versus VZ single synchronised
■All-new fully isolated remote shifter reduces noise and allows less vibration
■Eight per cent shorter shift travel
■Clutch pedal travel reduced 25mm to 140mm, lightening clutch effort

5000gt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS M6 Ute
so is the torque rating at 350flb like the earlier ones or is it up? if up, what is it at now???

TinSnips, i don't quite understand what you mean about binning it for the tr6060.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
HSV (as well as a lot of other manufacturers, including FPV and Ford) have stopped fitting T56s to their cars and are instead fitting TR6060s which, whilst still essentially a modified T56, it's a bit like the cleaner's 20 year old broom... the one that has had 15 new handles and 18 new heads - it's changed dramatically from the T56 and as such is much nicer to use. It's faster, smoother, much more accurate and able to handle significantly more torque. If Holden had turfed the tired T56 for the TR6060, they would have had a lot less gearbox problems in VEs and many happier customers who have learned to deal with the noisy and clunky gearbox that was fitted. I have had 4 replacement T56s in my ute (all within 35,000km) and am about due for number 5. Sure that's due to some underlying issue that is chewing out the synchros (no one knows) but essentially, the gearbox belongs in a truck, not in a car.

The torque rating is higher.. but I can't remember the figure off the top of my head.

5000gt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS M6 Ute
cheers.

So it looks like i will look at a tr6060 for my project car. I wanted to compare the VE t56 to the tr6060 to see which one would suit my project car. At the moment i have a TKO600 but am keen to pick up a highway gear. My MY10 SS ute shifts just fine and figured the tr6060 can only be better behind my twin turbo charged v12 project car (not holden).

5000gt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS M6 Ute
All alloy quad cam 48v toyota v12 with variable valve timing, Twin turbocharged. 5 litre bored and stroked... unsure of final displacement as yet. Chasing 1200+ hp
Fitted to late model Toyota supra, wide bodied, 345 rear tyres, big brakes, roll caged. Final weight should be around the 1450kg mark... you sort of get the idea. Definately not what most of the forum members here would be into.

My ute is my daily, the supra will be a weekend/track toy.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Fk me! That will be a weapon. I think that is something any lover of cars could appreciate. Custom and bespoke gear is ALWAYS interesting, whether it's good or bad... But that will certainly stand out from the crowd! By track toy, I'm assuming not so much circuit racing with 1200hp! Jeepers! Depending on the torque, you'll be lucky to find a manual gearbox that will suit, as it will likely be too harsh for driveline components. TR6060 is the only aftermarket unit I can think of that would come close.

Would love to stay updated on the progress of this!