Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Timing Chain (Stretched)

vn4250

vedelta
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega & VP Exec
I went to another holden dealership for advice and they were really helpful, gave me so much info and also a full (itemised) run down of costs involved. expect to fork out around $2600 for a proper job on the stretched timing chain issue. guess its better job done right the first time than to have it go back in again... and parts is covered under warranty too.

Mister X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
the warranty is expired, so they have no obligation to fix it.

You may find that is not exactly correct under law. Manufacturers promote arbitrary warranties on their products, which are often determined by competitive factors rather than expectations on actual lifetime. A consumer can usually rely on repairs to be carried out within this period pretty many no questions asked.

Outside stated warranty periods, consumers are still protected by statutory warranties which are mandated under law and basically state that a product has to be fir for the purpose for which it was sold.

This is an extract from the NSW Department of Fair Trading’s website...

Statutory conditions and warranties are implied by statutes or common law and require traders and manufacturers to ensure that every product provided is suitable for the purpose for which it is supplied.

For example, a refrigerator is an expensive item. It is not unreasonable to expect it to last longer than 18 months before it’s ready for the scrap heap. Even if the voluntary warranty on the refrigerator has expired, a consumer may still have a valid complaint under the law if it had a structural fault eg. defective insulation not apparent at the time of purchase, which became obvious after only 18 months.

These statutory warranties cannot be excluded or modified by a manufacturer or trader when the product or service is bought for personal or domestic use, even if the consumer does not return a manufacturer’s guarantee card or notice provided with the goods.

One could argue with this logic that a critical engine component, which most mechanics would agree should last the life of the engine, failing after 3.5 years would make the product unfit for purpose. This argument would be strengthened by the number of cases which seem to be surfacing; it was also not an issue facing other models by the same manufacturer.

I am not stating that if this was tested in court that the consumer (or Holden) would win, but I think it shows that there is reason for Holden to want to sort the problem out amicably with their customers on a case by case basis. Not sure they would want to risk an unfavourable court decision setting a precedent.

As to the extreme examples where owners of very old vehicles are attempting warranty claims, I would imagine that this wouldn't apply because those vehicles have been fine for such a long time and lived up to the typical lifetime expectations. It would be accepted in the mechanical industry that pretty much anything can break with an old car.

Last edited:

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Vehicles are covered under a statutory warranty of 20,000km. This is less than what manufacturers provide. There is a seperate section on the DOFT website with regards to Motor Vehicles and Stat Warranties.

Giving a seperate decree for time of repairs to be relevent. There is no mention that a motor vehicle is subject to a never-ending stat warranty as other items are, so what you've said is really irrelevant without some final word from somebody who does this for a living.

The person i was responding to, bought a second hand vehicle, out of both the new car warranty, and the statutory warranty provided by the act. The vehicle was never serviced by Holden, and wasnt bought at Holden, so chasing them for compensation on a fault in a second hand vehicle, with an unknown service history to them is pushing it bit far.

If somebody can post some proof that a statutory warranty as applied to a fridge is the same that is applied to a motor vehicle then i'll be happy to read it.

vn4250

vedelta
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega & VP Exec
FYI - At the time I purchased the VE it had remaining new car warranty with Holden until June 2009 (5 months of new car warranty). The first month I had the VE it went back to Holden 11 times for minor irritating little warranty issues. This bad impression of how poor quality build car it was. And even during this time no mention from Holden that the stretched timing chain was part of the tech service bulletin. If this is a known problem in early model VE's and is documented then owners of effected models should be entitled to have it rectified at Holden's expense... You can't fault or blame me cos' I didn't build the car. This whole ordeal makes me wonder why I bought a VE over others. Conclusion: WASTE OF MONEY. VERY POOR QUALITY. Sorry but I'm the one affected, you're not.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
FYI - At the time I purchased the VE it had remaining new car warranty with Holden until June 2009 (5 months of new car warranty). The first month I had the VE it went back to Holden 11 times for minor irritating little warranty issues. This bad impression of how poor quality build car it was. And even during this time no mention from Holden that the stretched timing chain was part of the tech service bulletin. If this is a known problem in early model VE's and is documented then owners of effected models should be entitled to have it rectified at Holden's expense... You can't fault or blame me cos' I didn't build the car. This whole ordeal makes me wonder why I bought a VE over others. Conclusion: WASTE OF MONEY. VERY POOR QUALITY. Sorry but I'm the one affected, you're not.
If the car was under any type of legal warranty then you would be entitled to getting it fixed. Why didnt you sell the car while it still had a warranty if you hated it so much? It's not an issue in all early model commodores. It's not a case of "Not if, but when"

Conclusion: You bought the car, had it for 5 months in warranty, you decided to keep it outside of the warranty period. You dont get a neverending warranty on a used car, even if it does have a remainder of the new car warranty when you buy it.

vn4250

vedelta
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega & VP Exec
easy said than done, car is financed and its difficult to sell a car with problems. you're not the one who has to deal with this.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
If somebody can post some proof that a statutory warranty as applied to a fridge is the same that is applied to a motor vehicle then i'll be happy to read it.
Company's recall products all the time, If Holden didn't think they were faulty then why would they be doing deals with people to pay for parts and so on? Your Wrong!!!!!!

Passion Red

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
How could a VE be over '1 year out of warranty Sabbath??? VE's were only released end Aug/Sept '06...and it's a 3 year warranty?..hello?

vn42050
Every VE timing chain from this FAULTY ( too thin) batch (7mm instead of 9mm) running from '06 - April '07 will now be out of warranty....from April this year.....and there are many of them being submitted....second hand/1st owner or not.
You should get a % back from Holden..based on the amount it was serviced at Holden over it's life so far, mileage and amount over warranty etc.
Holden know it's a 'known' fault.....and reimburse accordingly...warranty or not.
I had my Nov '06 VE Calais done just a month ago - 6 months out of warranty...75% cover from Holden.

Last edited:

ricky_y

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
I have the same issue. I spoke to Holden Customer care and I quote: "there is nothing you can do, Ricky". That really sux. True, my vehicle is out of warranty but a few months.

Look at this fact:
My vehicle details:
• Model: Holden/VE Commodore
• Date of Purchase: 28th Feb 2007
• Speedo: 47k

I cannot believe this. As we are all saying, this is a known problem. Sure, we can be theoretical about it and say that "the stretched timer chain " can occur any time throughout the life. But it does not fit into the normal "wear and tear" logic .

Ladies and Gents, I cannot just sit by myself and sulk about this. I am doing something. I have raised a complaint to the NSW fair trading and I am setting up a facebook group "Should Holden withdraw her timer chain". I need your support to escalate our cause. Please help me to help us. Together our little voices would be heard.

Thank you
Cheers
Ricky

05LVH

Reaction score
Members Ride
5L VH/ V6 VE
link me to facebook mate
Havent had this go wrong with my VE yet, but no doubt its around the corner. I have had every thing else go wrong with the POS. just today my handbrake lever broke, another thing to add to the list