Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Timing Chain (Stretched)

Passion Red

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
I have the same issue. I spoke to Holden Customer care and I quote: "there is nothing you can do, Ricky". That really sux. True, my vehicle is out of warranty but a few months.

Look at this fact:
My vehicle details:
• Model: Holden/VE Commodore
• Date of Purchase: 28th Feb 2007
• Speedo: 47k

I cannot believe this. As we are all saying, this is a known problem. Sure, we can be theoretical about it and say that "the stretched timer chain " can occur any time throughout the life. But it does not fit into the normal "wear and tear" logic .

Ladies and Gents, I cannot just sit by myself and sulk about this. I am doing something. I have raised a complaint to the NSW fair trading and I am setting up a facebook group "Should Holden withdraw her timer chain". I need your support to escalate our cause. Please help me to help us. Together our little voices would be heard.

Thank you
Cheers
Ricky

Ricky...that is not right.
If it is a stretched timimg chain then you need to put it to Holden customer care and THEY WILL take care of it through a % of good will.

Make it clear you KNOW it is a KNOWN FAULT......make it clear YOU KNOW others have had theirs fixed with a % of Holden good will AFTER warranty has run out. Make it known you have verification (print copies from here if you have to)
There have been numerous thread on it.
I had my own here http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...6/136662-possible-stretched-timing-chain.html

vn4250

vedelta
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega & VP Exec
Ricky...that is not right.
If it is a stretched timimg chain then you need to put it to Holden customer care and THEY WILL take care of it through a % of good will.

Make it clear you KNOW it is a KNOWN FAULT......make it clear YOU KNOW others have had theirs fixed with a % of Holden good will AFTER warranty has run out. Make it known you have verification (print copies from here if you have to)
There have been numerous thread on it.
I had my own here http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...6/136662-possible-stretched-timing-chain.html

Unfortunately not everyone get the Holden CARE treatment. I've been through this all and got ZERO% care and ZERO% goodwill. Ricky please keep us updated as I don't do Facebook. Good work pal.

ricky_y

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Good news all, Holden is giving me a fix based on "Good will".

@Passion Red, I did call Holden Customer Care at the first instance but they were telling me the usual explanations that there is no set period when a timer chain will fail. That is why I raised a complaint to the NSW Fair Trading. Perhaps this is election time as I have not heard anything from them. I spoke to NRMA and they advised me to push again the ball back to Holden. They confirmed that this is a known problem. If worst come to worst, I can push it further to the Tribunals. So for the past weeks, I have pushed my case to the Holden Regional District Manager for good will and today I got a call from the Holden dealer that Holden agreed to replace my parts. I have to pay for the labour. So it is a partial win for me.

@vn4250, You have to push your case again. Ask your RACQ or NRMA and they should advise you as how to approach Holden. Remember, those in the Holden Customer Care are only doing their job and we can be assertive but not abusive. At the end of the day, we want a win win situation for both side. If you like, email me and I can guide you on how to write assertively.

Cammo6556

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 V commodore
i just got off the phone to the mechanic. i got a stretched timing chain too.

had the car 4 months

i dont flog it - neither did the last owner.

VE- 2006 V series

been quoted 2000 for repairs

problem being that i had it checked prior to buying it by penfold holden and this wasnt mentioned. maybe it wasnt an issue then, i dont know. they also serviced it and filled it up with too much oil and oil spilled everywhere apparently. really unhappy.

im out of warranty obviously, but geez, i have had it no time and its screwed AND had a bad service. the chick on the phone is putting in for a goodwill claim, but im not hopeful.

i WILL go mental if its not approved.

Cammo6556

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 V commodore
quick question for the more mechanically minded...

if penfold holden checked the car prior to purchase, and 2000kms later the timing chain goes is stretched badly enough to set the check engine light off, would they not have picked that up/heard that the timing was out when checking the engine?

keeping in mind that i NEVER flog my car and I cannot see how I strecthed the chain that badly during normal use....

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
i cant see how they could have picked it up without pulling it of and measuring the lenght

Cammo6556

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 V commodore
would they not have heard that the timing was out?

apologies if thats a stupid question...

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
would they not have heard that the timing was out?

apologies if thats a stupid question...

na you wouldnt pick up the slight difference a streached chain would cuase they even have to pull the old chain off and measure it against a new one to confirm that the old one is in fact streatched.

Cammo6556

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 V commodore
ok cool. thanks mate. i hope the goodwill thing gets accepted

Cammo6556

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 V commodore
no joy from customer assistance... im now up for $3000 in repairs or months without my car while I fight this... hmmmm.