Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE transitional from VZ, next model to be true new Commodore?

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
I've been thinking this for a while, sure the VE is the new Commodore and the VY and VZ/Monaro borrowed from it to get us used to the design to make the transition not so difficult (to make it easy to distinguish as a Commodore) but I was thinking that maybe the VE has a bit of VT-VZ left in it intentionally to help with this process and the true new Commodore will be one or two facelifts in the future?

I know there's carryover bits and pieces and it's likely they won't change that much but what could they do for VE2/VF/Whatever (perhaps all new styling will come with a letter change and Holden logo change?)

When you look at the cars from the competition and the way car styling is becomming very unique and different, VE is traditional and conservative (I know the flared guards are phat)..

Just ignore my un-thought out comments :p

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
i think what juzza is trying to say (correct me if im wrong) is that the car has alot of similarities in overall design to the vz commodores.
A few examples are the tail lights which basically look as if the top has been cut off the vz lights, the side mirrors are similar (if not the same) the front on the sports models are very similar to the monaro front bar.
When i see a Ve on the road sometimes i have to do a double take to work out if it is a ve or vz (not when really close up ofcourse).
So there are quite a few carry over design ques from the vz Imo.

Rombles

HSVDT #1
Reaction score
Website
rombles.msn.space.com
Members Ride
HSVDT Limited Ed'n Z Series Clubsport #8-6.0L/M6
There's a lot of good stuff in a VZ.... why not continue some of the themes over to the new one? I like the fact that it still looks like a member of the "Commodore" family, but newer and fresher than the previous generation. And the next one won't be truly "new" either because it will have a lot of ideas carried over from the VE!

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
andrewmac's got what I'm trying to say, that perhaps the VZ wasn't completely designed to be the only stepping board to the new platform, that the VE has it's part to play as well.. look at how the VB evolved into the VL for example, VN into VS, VT into VZ VE into future model

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Yeah obviously it will change as it goes through the evolution that every commodore does. It will have its first facelift with the VF in very early 08 (such as VN to VP, or VR to VS or VT to VX or VY to VZ), then a major face lift with the model after (VP to VR, VX to VY). Then an all new platform in 2012.

p.s. the mirrors are different. Same design, but they are larger than the VZ items.

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
What carry over bits and peices? The VE has nothing from the VZ bar maybe 2 peices in the entire car...

Engine, Drive line are a couple of things. Just because it's a new platform GM will still use previous models parts.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Engine, Drive line are a couple of things. Just because it's a new platform GM will still use previous models parts.

Yeah thats true, however the engines and transmissions (auto atleast) have changed compared to the VZ versions.

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
Yeah thats true, however the engines and transmissions (auto atleast) have changed compared to the VZ versions.

Nope - same engines, different mappings though. New 6 speed auto for V8s but same transmission other than that.

The indicator and wiper stalks are identical to VZ.