Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Update MY09 Good & Bad Points

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
I purchased a new 60th Anniversary Commodore May 2008 (MY09) V6 Auto with country pack suspension; here's a list of points for comment.

-Front left passengers seat leather panel replaced due to imperfection.

-Broken plastic moulding, passengers side front right mounting at the base of the seat; it covers the carpet and bilt area that is adjacent to the seat rail.

-Bonnet adjusted twice remove movement / play.

-Squeaking belt on aircon, adjusted twice, third time replaced belt.

-Poor sealing, top of the boot left and right sides on the quarter panel. The sealer / sealing compound has a small holes that trap water, this may allow water to infiltrate in years to come.

-Sump guard; does a reasonable job but on wet muddy roads water and mud splashes up on to the motor.

-Rear window heater is very slow to de-mist.

Good points

-These few anomalies are just that, overall I'm very happy with the MY09 VE.

-Best fuel economy was using Caltex 98 octane, on a cruise from Sydney to Bombala. Average fuel consumption was 8.7 litres per 100Ks. Average speed about 86kph. Used crew control for the most.

-Car sticks to the road like glue, very impressive handling.

-Excellent ride, not too hard or soft.

Improvements that I'd like to see.

-Remove the seatbelt alarm or be able to access to computer menu to enable or disable.

-Stronger catch for the console lid.

-Scuff resistant panels on the front drivers door, the lower part always seems to get scuff marks.

-Limited slip differential available on base models.

Overall, the best car I have driven in 35 years:thumbsup:

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
-Car sticks to the road like glue, very impressive handling.

-Remove the seatbelt alarm or be able to access to computer menu to enable or disable.

car handeling is awesome .... but just wait until your rear tiers are done ... you'll feel it ;)

there have to be something to do about the seatbelt alarm, cuz my car only do it at start up, never again while driving *I wear mine all the time, but I gave it a try just for that :p *

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Got and 09 Berlina had it for a month and have a few faults that I will get fixed on the first service and design things that annoy me when compared to the 08 model I had before it.

Digital speedo is out to the analogue. Digital shows 60 and analogue shows 62.

Dash rattle in the front right.

The new window switches don't allow you to put two windows down with one finger or up either cos it has a divider.

The bluetooth doesn't allow adjustment for the speakers. (fade/balance)

The option for showing stereo info in the centre screen has been removed, it only shows at the top of the screen in small writing.

No rear ashtray.

No glovebox or centre console light.

Drivers seat movement, when you stop you can feel it move slightly.

Thats about it for now.

But overall an nice car and very comfy to drive.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
those things that you mentioned NickVR eg
The new window switches don't allow you to put two windows down with one finger or up either cos it has a divider.

The option for showing stereo info in the centre screen has been removed, it only shows at the top of the screen in small writing.

has that all been changed from a MY08.5 MY09?

could you clarify some of those with pictures, apart from bluetooth?

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
I'll take some photos of the stuff I mean and post it up and see if I can explain it. But yes the MY08 used to let you do that stuff but MY09 doesn't. And the MY09 has white LCD display on the dash with green dials where as the MY08 had all green. I like the current colour set-up better though.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR

As I understand the seatbelt alarms are what allows the Commodore to achieve a 5-star NCAP rating, and I suspect if they could be turned that easily they wouldn't award it that rating, so don't hold you breath.

I believe it is technically possible to disable them using a Tech2, but most dealers probably won't be keen on doing this.

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Little to Complain About!

I bought an MY09 SV6 Manual last December. Price was too good to ignore.

Car is now approaching 17,000 km. I have had the following issues:

1. Check engine light came on, but car ran normally, Dealer replaced an O2 sensor, and problem has not surfaced again.

2. At 15K service, mentioned that there was an intermittent groaning/clunk in the front suspension. They fitted a "technical service kit", and problem has gone away so far.

3. At 15K service, complained of a rattle that appeared to be in the dash. Rattle was worst on the freeway at around 90 to 110. Turned out to be a loose heat shield. Problem solved.

The longer I have the car, the more I like it.

I know that I gave up some minor items getting an MY09 over the MY08, such as glovebox light. But the extra airbags alone are worth more than losing the other items.

Only remaining irritation is the silver strip below the cluster that reflects onto the speedo and makes the white on silver markers impossible to read for my aging eyes. I will find a fix for this myself when I get the time.

MickVE

Red... It goes faster!
Reaction score
Members Ride
09 MY10 SS
Interesting to hear the changes that have been made over the past 2 years since I bought mine.
It is a MY07 SV6 with the black interior plastics. Fekason, see if you can get hold of the black dash strip from an earlier model that would solve the problem for you.

The only bad points mine has had is the fuel hose recall and some knocking from the front suspension which has been repaired in the 60k service under warranty, can't totally remember what they said it was but it was a know issue and there was a fix for it. Apart from that I still love getting in the car in the morning and driving it.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
those things that you mentioned NickVR eg

has that all been changed from a MY08.5 MY09?

could you clarify some of those with pictures, apart from bluetooth?

Windows

Bluetooth

Display

Click the pics to enlarge them. This should explain what I mean hopefully.

Mike08

No Back seat drivers
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
I notice in the middle picture, that the outside air temp and inside temp settings are displayed.

Is there a setting which shows them in the Omega by any chance?

Cheers.

Mike.