Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Ute - Extra Storage

ASxTecH

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF LSA Maloo
Looks awesome, Good place to stick a wheel jack and all that gear aswell
only problem i have a motobike in my tray every weekend the weight from the bike would look like it would crush that top lid straight away unless the lid is reinforced on the back

VEO55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
Looks awesome, Good place to stick a wheel jack and all that gear aswell
only problem i have a motobike in my tray every weekend the weight from the bike would look like it would crush that top lid straight away unless the lid is reinforced on the back

Yeah mate there is a piece of 12mm ply on the underside of the lid, helps strengthen it and also give it some weight so it doesn't fly away if you have the tonneau off.

Last edited:

rang427

3.6 luxury spec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 3.6 SIDI
Yeah mate there is a piece of 12mm ply on the underside of the lid, helps strengthen it and also give it some weight so it doesn't fly away if you have the tonneau on.

you mean off?:rofl2:

Chris Payne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo E3
image.jpg
This is my storage area little it wider for easier access from side of ute.

VEO55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
^^ Chris that's awesome, it's a handy spot to throw things and not have them slide all around the tray.
Do you have a lid that sits over the hole?

Mc_Robz

Reaction score
Members Ride
HDT Improved VE SS Ute
You have done such a good job here mate. Absolutely love it.
I am going to give this mod a go in the next week or so to gain an extra bit of storage room for my ropes and tie down straps and stuff that i dont want sliding around in the tray or filling up the pockets in the cab.
Is there any chance you could give us a bit more info on the placement of the cut out in the liner, as in a bit of a measurement from the back of the liner to the first cut and also the masurement between the two cuts.
It looks from the photos that the side cuts are roughly the same distance from the outside ribs as the distance between the ribs, is this about right?
Sorry to be a pain but im really interested in doing this and really dont want to stuff up my liner and have to spend a fortune on buying a new one.
Also, what did you use to cut the liner? Was it just a lot of patience with a stanly knife or a special cutting tool.
Cheers.

blown6l

Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown SSv
This is a pretty good little idea.

would you be able to measure the depth under the lid?

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Wonder if the new VF model will use this space?
Winning idea.