Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Ute Sound System Quote $2400

Toeludeu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VT S Pack
Mate I would say do it your self, there really isn't much to it if you can use a soldering iron. Get some good speakers an amp and some heat shrink and do it all your self, I done my car and I installed Head unit, 4 speakers 2 subs and amp all in about 2 hours and that was soldering, wiring and install. it will save you a lot of money. $2400 seems a bit excessive Mine cost me around $1200 and I'm very happy with the end result.

How in god's name did you do it in 2 hours?
I just installed a head unit, 4 channel amp, splits in the front and 3 ways's in the rear and it took me 2 full days to run the rca's, install speakers and run cables etc etc.

If I did mine in 2 hours, i'd have wires hanging from the roof :)

Just interested to know as the head unit alone would usually take you around 2-3 hours to install properly (and by properly I mean removing the old one, fitting and bolting the new one so it's secure, routing rca's out of the dash, wiring etc)

sv6_driver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 60th Anniversary
Hey just wondering if anyone else has put in any parts of this package into their car? The rockford amp or the mb quart speakers?

The other thing is perhaps looking into a trusty pioneer setup, but that seems to raise the cost a bit.

Paro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute M6
SV6 Driver, I have a SV6 ute myself and only spent $1800 having a system professionally installed. I had Pioneer Type R speakers put in to replace the standard ones, with a pioneer slim 12" sub and rockford fosgate 4ch amp. It all runs from the standard headunit through a LOC and the doors were completely fitted with Dynamat. I'm entirely happy with outcome.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
hey guys, just got a quote from JB hifi.

Kicker-08ZX350.3 = $279
Kicker-07DS600.2 = $138
Kicker-07TCVT124 = $265
SPRS 4/5/6 splits no modification = $95
INSTAL 4 channel amp =$150
STINGER ELEC-SGN11 = $15

= $942

then he wants another $200ish for wires and stuff, and that included installation.

It was 30% off for tonight only, but I thought it was dodgy how he wouldn't give me an exact price on installation and wiring. And I wasn't going to pay $945 then find out it was going to cost another $300 for extras on the day if you know what I mean.

And the items arent the best quality, imagine the splits are cheap as well.

If anyone finds a price cheaper then that let me know, might try ebay and getting a mate to install it.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
You need to specify what the model codes refer to so we don't have to look up the website to help you out... You can just buy a 4 channel wiring kit for $50-100 and supply the wiring yourself. Can't comment on Kicker speakers, amps and subs are fine. You should really grab a CD you know really well and take it around to stores and demo speakers. The speakers will sound quite different but you can get an idea on clarity and what frequencies the particular speakers emphasise.

To the original poster... There is several audio stores within 30 mins of you. Freeway Car Audio in Dandenong and Moorabbin. Phatt audio in Braeside. Stylyn in Moorabbin. Tower Audio in Moorabbin. Then Autobarn, JB, etc. What stores did you visit?

As people have already said, a sub is an essential part of an audio system. They're not for "bassy" music, they're for a well balanced sound. 6.5" speakers can't reproduce the sound of the bass drum in a drum kit. I don't know what you listen to but most rock sounds so much better with some proper bass.

Those prices are ridiculous... You don't need such a name brand amp. You will hear very little difference between amps and with Rockford you really are paying for the name. I'd go for a cheaper 4 channel amp and listen to some other speakers... Focal and Boston would be high on my list. Then find a slim sub to hide behind the seats if you want something discrete.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
StoneX im not too sure either, they were just the numbers he printed for me on the docket lol. I asked "would these be good for metal?" and he said yes, but I really dont think he knows what he was talking about lol.

If I was going to order speakers, amp, sub online, whats a good website and what brand should I look at? Anyone gone the ebay route before?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
You're better off buying from a store... Then you get to listen to the gear and get a proper warranty. With eBay gear you don't get a manufacturers warranty. With online stores you have to deal with posting products if they fail. If you buy from overseas, this becomes a real hassle.

But do what I said and take a CD to a few stores to demo different products... You can even look on MEA forums and see if there's any car audio meets or competitions in your area where you could demo different gear in people's cars.

CosmoVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S' Ute
i think its funny that so many people suggest changing head units... Its a VE, the unit is intergrated into the dash, if anyones changed one of these i would love to see photos..... would be interesting...
Plus are you getting a decent line level converter, not a cheep $20 one, or are you running it into the high level inputs on the amp.???? A decent converter can increase to voltage output into the rca's to levels like 8- 10 volts, will cost around 300 and up....
Dynamat is definatly worth doing, but $700 is too much, especially if they have the door trims off already to fit the speakers...

Mix 6000

"Balck" VE Maloo R8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo R8
i think its funny that so many people suggest changing head units... Its a VE, the unit is intergrated into the dash, if anyones changed one of these i would love to see photos..... would be interesting...
Plus are you getting a decent line level converter, not a cheep $20 one, or are you running it into the high level inputs on the amp.???? A decent converter can increase to voltage output into the rca's to levels like 8- 10 volts, will cost around 300 and up....
Dynamat is definatly worth doing, but $700 is too much, especially if they have the door trims off already to fit the speakers...
I haven't ever seen other than a standard VE Headunit, I'd love to see pics of any ones upgrade to a "VE" Headunit....as for the $700 for Dynamat.....I got a trunk kit (approx 7m x .3m) of edead (similar to dynamat) for under $100 delivered from ebay, enough to do both doors. Has made a lot of difference to the doors in, beautifull rich bass, doors feel more solid when closing & opening & a lot less road noise...