Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Ute Sound System Quote $2400

sv6_driver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 60th Anniversary
Hey guys I'm just curious as to peoples opinions of what sort of money is worthwhile towards a sound system. I have a quote from a professional company quoting $2400 for a system installed in my ute.

I asked for a decent system for listening to rock music, as i felt the car lacked a tinge of bass and any enthusiasm in the mids. The parts quoted are as follows:

Speakers: PUF-Z16 MB Quart
Amplifier: T600-Z Rockford
Accessories: Wiring + Sound Deadening (quoted at around 700 for the dynamatting)

Equiptment came valued at $1650.

My main concern is with such a small cabin space, am i going to really notice any quality sound or will i just be subjecting myself to a hell of a lot of noise? Can i for a lower $ recieve the same quality in sound, and are the parts really suitable?

I did ask the dealer to ensure the integrity of the car remained as intact as possible visually, i wanted people to notice the sound improvement not some massive subwoofer behind my seat, if any system is suggested i would like it to only replace the speakers already installed and hopefully not require any boxes being installed. Thanks guys any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated as always!

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Your biggest disadvantage, being cabin space, will also be your biggest advantage. Being that whatever you install, it dosen't have to project the sound as far as say a typical sedan/wagon setup..You will definately notice sound quality differences in a smaller space. It's like listening to a Ipod dock in your bedroom, then taking to to the centre of a Football field...get it??

Never go with the first thing you see and hear, and take your time, learn a thing or two about the products you have been shown and are interested in buying...

Last edited:

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Hey guys I'm just curious as to peoples opinions of what sort of money is worthwhile towards a sound system. I have a quote from a professional company quoting $2400 for a system installed in my ute.

I asked for a decent system for listening to rock music, as i felt the car lacked a tinge of bass and any enthusiasm in the mids. The parts quoted are as follows:

Speakers: PUF-Z16 MB Quart
Amplifier: T600-Z Rockford
Accessories: Wiring + Sound Deadening (quoted at around 700 for the dynamatting)

Equiptment came valued at $1650.

My main concern is with such a small cabin space, am i going to really notice any quality sound or will i just be subjecting myself to a hell of a lot of noise? Can i for a lower $ recieve the same quality in sound, and are the parts really suitable?

I did ask the dealer to ensure the integrity of the car remained as intact as possible visually, i wanted people to notice the sound improvement not some massive subwoofer behind my seat, if any system is suggested i would like it to only replace the speakers already installed and hopefully not require any boxes being installed. Thanks guys any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated as always!

~$500 to dynamat 2 doors?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Its a special kind of Gold Plated Dynamat ...OP seriously though, they must have seen you coming. Any body's who know's or sell's car audio, can pick out pretty quickly whether or not the person they are talking to has any clue.. I suggest taking some one along with you, when your looking. And know what your looking for, if you just roll in there with no idea and say yeah mate, got a ute, want a system, of course there going to take you straight to thier premium products. Just like any where you go...

Stoker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Mate I would say do it your self, there really isn't much to it if you can use a soldering iron. Get some good speakers an amp and some heat shrink and do it all your self, I done my car and I installed Head unit, 4 speakers 2 subs and amp all in about 2 hours and that was soldering, wiring and install. it will save you a lot of money. $2400 seems a bit excessive Mine cost me around $1200 and I'm very happy with the end result.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Stroker, mate,THERE IS A LOT TO IT, hence why we have Car Audio installers in the first place... and judging by his knowledge of Car Audio, i think it's safe to assume this will be a paid installation job. And it's not worth him running the risk with a brand new VE is it.....

Stoker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
holdencommodorevp you make a fair point, but I wouldn't say there is a lot to it, I mean we have people who wash dogs, there's not a lot to that now is there, just because there is a job for people to do it doesn't make it hard. But considering it is a new VE he could have someone else do it but I would personally do it my self.

sv6_driver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 60th Anniversary
I was hoping for a package around the 1.5k mark, i'd still like to get them to install it given the cars only a few months old, that way it has a warranty for the installation and such. I'd hate to do an upgrade that turns into an over budgeted mess.

Has anyone put in this dynamat in the ute? Will i really get 700 dollars worth of quality out of it? I think the most noise you get out of that ute is coming up from the tires.

I'll do a few more weeks of searching around, perhaps i can go back to him with a new budget as well. $1,500 seems a sensible limit to this sort of job, i just hope for a big gain in quality over the stock system.

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
whereabouts are you located? we could probably recommend some reputable stores...

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
holdencommodorevp you make a fair point, but I wouldn't say there is a lot to it, I mean we have people who wash dogs, there's not a lot to that now is there, just because there is a job for people to do it doesn't make it hard. But considering it is a new VE he could have someone else do it but I would personally do it my self.

I'll wash your dog if you fit my Blower:thumbsup: