Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE ute stereo install and pictures please.

vx-lnickels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore
im in the same boat here, i instaled my previous sound system into my old vx,now i have a ve ute, i read a comment about the remote wire being connected to a brown wire under the glove box, what happens with the rca leads? is there a plug behind the stock head unit?

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
thread dig

but to answer your question the OP didnt need rcas, his amp had high level inputs which means he just put the original speaker wires from the H/U into there,

if your amp doesnt have high level inputs you will need a low level converter or line out converter (same thing, two names) like this one:

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

thats just to give you a idea, you can normally pic these up at your local autobarn, around $15 i think it is

i have a dnaudio one in my ute running from the stock H/U to new speakers in the doors and a sub

or you can go all out and spend alot of money on a processor like this:

Audison Bit One signal processor alpine, pioneer, rockford fosgate, fusion JL | eBay

and that will give you the best signal you could possibly ask for, but you do need to manually tune it with your computer

i hope that helped you out mate

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
Where do you live? I have a series 2 and had the head unit RCA mod done by Phreddy. The first series 2 he had done and no problems at all with the outcome. Glad I had it done. He lives in the Penrith area.

vx-lnickels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore
okay thanks heaps for that, so whats the difference between the loc and the expensive processor? will the loc give poor quality music? i understand it wont matter for the sub but i will also be amping speakers.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
+1 for the phreddy mod. See the ASR sponsors section of the forum.

He can give you proper RCA outputs on the back of your factory HU. You'll have no sound quality issues and its not that expensive..

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
okay thanks heaps for that, so whats the difference between the loc and the expensive processor? will the loc give poor quality music? i understand it wont matter for the sub but i will also be amping speakers.

The processor is a unit that you can tune or have tuned professionally to get the best quality sound signal possible, but the loc still has great sound quality, like I said my speakers and amp are through a loc and it sounds great, only problem I have is static caused by bad grounding from my amp,

If you do plan on keeping the original h/u (which id say you want to in a ve considering how much it costs to upgrade them) then yes I would say get phreddys RCA outputs done

Only reason I didn't because I'm unsure about upgrading my h/u and the loc was a cheaper temporary fix and I have heard it is hard getting onto phreddy because he is always so busy, plus if you live in a regional area like me I would have had to send my h/u to him

Hope that helps mate

vx-lnickels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore
yeah that helps heaps man, im from the mornington peninsula, i presume most dedicated car audio shops would also be able to mount rcas behind the stock HU... how much is not expensive just to giveme an idea so i wont be getting ripped off?

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not exactly sure, but jump onto the asr sponsors thread at the top of the forum and see if anyone else has posted how much, or find the link to his web page and there may be a price on it there that you can gauge on

However incase you don't find a car audio shop that can do this for you then you can buy the kit from phreddy and if you are confident do it yourself or then take it to a car audio shop to install

vx-lnickels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore
getting my ute tomorrow and have purchased the following items that i wil be instaling asap

kicker ks6502 component speakers 75rmseach speaker
which will be run off my kenwood kacm645

kicker cvr 12inch run off alpine mrp500.

i made the trip down to autobahn today and purchased two LOC's ( one for each amp), if im running my splits through an LOC which are 75rms each and quite decent quality speakers, do you think there is an extent of quality the LOC can support? as is says on the box 30w max per channel, however the guy at autobahn seems to think this is untrue, they were only 15 $ each and doubt il need to worry about it with the sub-amp. i guess i will have to wait n see..

thanks for your help and ill let you know how it all goes

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
he may mean 30W max power from the speaker wires from the H/U, in which the case the original H/U probably only puts out max 10WRMS anyway

as for sound quality id say there is only a certain amount of quality the LOCs can put out compared to phreddys RCAs or a processor, but in saying that i have morel maximo speakers which are quite good quality for the money and they run 90rms and im very happy with the sound quality they play (remembering my system is ran through a single 2CH LOC)

is there rear speakers in the VE utes? im not sure, but if there is use your LOC tapped into the rear speakers for the sub channels

also have you purchased your wiring kit? a 4 channel 4 gauge kit would be best espescially if you plan on upgrading in the future, you can pic these up from autobarn for ~$80 depending on brand