Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve V6 2008 miner misfire/ chucking under accelaration

Alec Price

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V6 sports wagon LY7
Hi guys
Really struggling with my wife’s VE 2008 V6 sports wagon. It has a minor misfire and chugs under normal driving but if you put your boot into hard it goes as expected. It’s a well serviced car to the book 212ks on it. Problem is getting worse without it throwing up any codes. Recently changed pre cat and post cat O2sensors can’t find any vacuum leeks. Can anybody help please as about to head off to the Gold Coast from vic on a family holiday
Thanks in advance

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
I'd start with changing spark plugs and ignition coils

Last edited:

Alec Price

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V6 sports wagon LY7
I'd start with changing spark plugs and ignotiig coils
Thanks for the help, I changed the plugs and inlet gasket about 40000ks ago. Any idea how I would check the coil packs with a multimeter, or just start by replacing all the plugs again

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I would get it scanned first before spending any $'s on it,
as that will give you a starting point,
Not every DTC will activate the MIL indicator.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Coils are getting cheaper online now so it would be a good investment to look into it. About $160 for a set of six quality branded coils is pretty good value. Don't bother with any of the no name cheap rubbish. If the plugs are newish well maybe pull them out and inspect them but I'd think doing the coils is better value since the plugs have already been done.
You can test them by unplugging the lead to one coil at a time. If the miss doesn't change when a coil is unplugged you know that coil isn't firing. Check them all one by one.

Alec Price

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V6 sports wagon LY7
Coils are getting cheaper online now so it would be a good investment to look into it. About $160 for a set of six quality branded coils is pretty good value. Don't bother with any of the no name cheap rubbish. If the plugs are newish well maybe pull them out and inspect them but I'd think doing the coils is better value since the plugs have already been done.
You can test them by unplugging the lead to one coil at a time. If the miss doesn't change when a coil is unplugged you know that coil isn't firing. Check them all one by one.
Thanks guys, I’ve done the coil removal thing last night, removing one by one and it actually made it worse evenly across all 6, so I think the coils are ok. Going to put 6 new plugs in it tomorrow and give it a go. A diesel mechanic who had the same issue with his LS1 said check the PCV incase it’s blowing to much into the intake and Fowling the plugs, dose that sound possible

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Well anything is possible, pcv is fairly easy to check using a piece of wire on these engines. Check throttle body for gunk build up too.The problem with that coil test is there is no load on the engine at idle so it's not a foolproof test until the coil is actually dead so don't rule them out completely.

Alec Price

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V6 sports wagon LY7
Well anything is possible, pcv is fairly easy to check using a piece of wire on these engines. Check throttle body for gunk build up too.The problem with that coil test is there is no load on the engine at idle so it's not a foolproof test until the coil is actually dead so don't rule them out completely.
Hey, replaced the coil packs all six and still no change. At 68ks per hour in top gear it chugs with what I class as a misfire then a engine code comes up for cat bank 1&2 below thresh hold so I replaced the oxygen sensors too. Still plays up the same. I’m at a loss, help please as heading off in two weeks

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Don't discount a faulty injector no matter what codes are thrown up.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Hey, replaced the coil packs all six and still no change. At 68ks per hour in top gear it chugs with what I class as a misfire then a engine code comes up for cat bank 1&2 below thresh hold so I replaced the oxygen sensors too. Still plays up the same. I’m at a loss, help please as heading off in two weeks
Well that sucks big time doesn't it!
Interesting the code is coming up on both banks. Any chance there's a vacuum leak around the manifold or intake? Or the cats are stuffed?