Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE V6 auto trans

Type40

Reaction score
Members Ride
TL VR Magna
Hi everyone. I am a new member here and i have been having a bit of a look at your forum, doing some research on the VE. I am looking at getting one in the future and i have a few questions about the 4 and 5 speed autos.

I have had a past experience with the 4L60E in a VR V6 before and that trans was nothing but trouble, chewing out 4th gear for some reason... But i was wondering if the VE transmission (which has the same designation) is an ok prospect? I am a bit paranoid about committing to either an Omega or Berlina V6 for fear of the trans shitting itself sometime after i buy the car! So that said, what of the 5 speeders in the SV6/Calais? Would it be a better bet to try and source a car with one of them? And does the 4 speed really eat into the economy and performance as much as i have read?

I have done a search of the forum and haven't really found the specific answers i would like. So please dont flame me as i am a new member! Anyones opinion and experience would be greatly appreciated.

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
Hi everyone. I am a new member here and i have been having a bit of a look at your forum, doing some research on the VE. I am looking at getting one in the future and i have a few questions about the 4 and 5 speed autos.

I have had a past experience with the 4L60E in a VR V6 before and that trans was nothing but trouble, chewing out 4th gear for some reason... But i was wondering if the VE transmission (which has the same designation) is an ok prospect? I am a bit paranoid about committing to either an Omega or Berlina V6 for fear of the trans shitting itself sometime after i buy the car! So that said, what of the 5 speeders in the SV6/Calais? Would it be a better bet to try and source a car with one of them? And does the 4 speed really eat into the economy and performance as much as i have read?

I have done a search of the forum and haven't really found the specific answers i would like. So please dont flame me as i am a new member! Anyones opinion and experience would be greatly appreciated.

avoid the 4 spd like the plague, avoid the 5 spd auto if you can afford the 6 spd auto...

Many different shops, reporting the same, the 5L40-E auto is an ok box, can handle more power, but loves to die after 150xxx kms.. BMW - Same box, has the same problems.....)