Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve v6 omega oil filter removal

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
Hi

Im draining the oild overnight on my ve and I had a quick go at removing the oil filter. I have a 24mm socket however it sits very very loose and I think if I apply the force needed to crack the bolt im going to CRACK THE BOLT or more than likely round it. Are you sure its a 14mm the bolt head looks ok it has some wear but hardly anything major the 24mm just slops around. Would hate to round it. I really really dont want to leave the old filter in as it kinda defeats the purpose of an oil change. I just have this feeling I will snap it its on damn friggen tight. Does anyone know roughly when the 25nm mark on the bolt should sit when it has ben torques to 25nm? I would just really hate to break it and have the car out of service until its sorted which could be weeks. Can anyone put a pic p of their bolt so I can see where the 25nm mark sits on the bolt head to get a rough idea.

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
So.... I just watched the below and this guy makes it look so easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOpbU30Muoo

I have grabbed a pipe now to shove on my socket fairly big breaker bar and im unscrewing with all my might I can actually see the engine moving and rocking a little bit towards me but the thing wont budge. I think some toss has way overdone it anyway I dont think Imgoing to touch it now as I have snapped a few bolts in my time and have craked an cast aluminium before if you ask me its weak as I can just tell the force im applying to crack it is going to break the bolt.... Just bought the car to so who knows how long its been since the oil filter was changed..... Maybe I will take it to a mechanic in 7,000 klms time and ask for an oil change and filter and let him sort it im sure he will pass on the costs when he cracks the housing....

I know this vehicle was services as well by a mechanic what a joke....

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I'm a little lost on your post..........I find it very hard to read and make sense of.

24mm socket makes no sense to me either. To drain the oil you need a 15mm socket to go onto the drain plug in the sump. It should be a snug fit because that's the correct size, and with a decent pull even if it's been put on too tight it will unscrew.

To take the filter out you need to pull off with care the near side plastic engine cover, and toward the front is the oil filter. You will see the metal cover with a large nut shape on top.
I use a large shifter to get mine off without any problem.
New filter has a new O ring with it.......Use it. Screw back sump plug and filter cap and nip them up tight but not over tight. Refill with the correct oil to top of dip stick mark.

What oil are you using? God luck.

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
Hi

Im talking about the nut on top off the filter the 24mm one you use a shifter to undo. Some know has way overtightened it and If I undo it I will most likely shatter the whole housing. The sump plug was a piece of cake compared.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE INTERNATIONAL MY10
Very unlikely to "shatter" the oil filter housing cover, You would round the head off the hex easily though if you are using poor quality sockets that are not quite the correct size (Loose) which it sounds like the trouble you are having?

When was the car last serviced? Sounds like some drongo tightened it with a breaker bar last time?

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
Very unlikely to "shatter" the oil filter housing cover, You would round the head off the hex easily though if you are using poor quality sockets that are not quite the correct size (Loose) which it sounds like the trouble you are having?

When was the car last serviced? Sounds like some drongo tightened it with a breaker bar last time?

I have seent he filter housing shatter before thats why numnuts shouldnt have overtightened it. I just bought the car but im thinking of taking it back to the mechanic so they can have a go. If I can move it with 30cm extension bar on a 30cm ratchet and im pulling the whole motor towards me and I havent even moved it a mm it will crack cast aluminium thats only approx 5mm thick is weak as ****.

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
They will sometimes freeze up if over torqued when hot, try undoing it first thing in the morning when the engine is cold. Also rather than using a long breaker bar and a lot of force, give a shorter breaker bar with a tight fitting socket (I use an imperial one but not going out tonight to check the size,sorry) and give the bar a sharp hit to break the seal. As a rule you should never use a rattle gun on an aluminium engine, but that applies to removing a steel bolt from an alloy block due to the different expansion rates of the metals (you can pull the threads out of the block with the bolt), but you CAN rattle gun off the oil cartridge cap. Don't make a mistake and have the rattle gun set to tighten. I have rattled probably a dozen stuck ones off and never had one break. Remember to oil the threads when you put it back, and only torque to 25.0 Nm.

kwaka738

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY09 Berlina Sportwagon
.... (I use an imperial one but not going out tonight to check the size, sorry)......

I tried the 24mm (normal) bihex socket and agree there is more slop than is desirable and no doubt will do a little bit of damage over time especially if someone has over tightened it.

As 99notoout suggest an imperial socket is the way to go. I have just been out and bought a 15/16" A/F single hex socket. It fits fairly snugly. The 15/16" bihex would probably do but I thought for that little bit extra insurance I'd go for the single hex as there isn't as much damage done to the corners of the filter housing.

Last edited:

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
STOP - before you do any damage, take the vehicle back to where you bought it from and have them remove the filter cover for you.

Bhp Steel

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
holden
I tried the 24mm (normal) bihex socket and agree there is more slop than is desirable and no doubt will do a little bit of damage over time especially if someone has over tightened it.

As 99notoout suggest an imperial socket is the way to go. I have just been out and bought a 15/16" A/F single hex socket. It fits fairly snugly. The 15/16" bihex would probably do but I thought for that little bit extra insurance I'd go for the single hex as there isn't as much damage done to the corners of the filter housing.

Spot on Kwaka738....now lets do some maths Imperial Style:-

24mm = 0.9448" ( Metric to Decimal Inches )....................1" = 25.4mm.
15/16" AF = 0.9375" ( Imperial to Decimal Inches )...........15/16" can also be 30/32" and also 60/64"

As you can see from above there is very little difference....but the 24mm is not as snug as the 15/16" AF...I know as I have changed the oil filter many times...I think some of these motor parts and bolts are still manufactured in the Imperial System...depending on the country they are sourced from.....it is the same setup as on the VF SV6!

Last edited: