Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE v6 tuning and longevity / reliability

Flajibajib

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM caprice
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience and feedback regarding tuning a v6 alloytec. I was thinking of getting an OTR, tune, cams and maybe an exhaust (very big maybe on the exhaust). Im not really after power figures as such but just to change up the ride i suppose. I wouldn't say the car has been reliable and ive looked after the car very well so far (regular servicing and repairs). For context, i've had to replace the radiator, AC condenser, rear differential, hand brake, alternator and timing chains. Basically most of the common stuff that goes wrong with the VE series has gone wrong in my WM caprice. But its running fine and engine and transmission wise it's been great. Even when i replaced the timing chains the car never actually chucked up a code or never experienced a rattle at all. At this point im contemplating just doing nothing and driving it till it dies (currently at ~160,000 kms) and keeping it as a beater as i have a new car now, but also i want to see what happens if you throw like 3 k of engine mods to it. It may sound stupid, but i just want to see for the heck of it. I was going to get it done at REVHIGH after all this lockdown is over for us in VIC but was wondering if anyone has done similar mods to their car and to what extent, if they had any issues, how was reliability etc.

I still want to have it as a large barge that i can drive to the shops etc but with just a little bit of flare, so reliability and driveability is still quite important. Almost like a secondary daily.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’m going to be the first to say, it’s a fancy boat anchor, don’t bother.

Spend $3k on coke and hookers. You’ll have way more fun.

Flajibajib

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM caprice
I’m going to be the first to say, it’s a fancy boat anchor, don’t bother.

Spend $3k on coke and hookers. You’ll have way more fun.

haha completely agree on the boat anchor part. But was just wondering if anyone has had any experience thats all :)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You’d get more respect Barra swapping it. Would be cheaper too.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Haven’t personally had experience with the 3.6 engine but I reckon go for it, you might be surprised just how well it goes mate I’d add a trans cooler to that list along with trans service if it hasn’t been done