Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve V6 Turbo information

Karlaus

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega
Hey guys just need help with a project i am working on, so i am wanting to turbocharge my 06 Ve V6 and i am quite unsure if i should go two small turbos or one medium turbo and im trying to maybe get 580 hp if possible.
Thanks guys

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
I see people talking a lot of turboing these engines, what is the benefit of that over supercharging? Isn't turbo lag a thing anymore?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Your dreamin… or you’ve got access to better engineers than GM.

GM’s turbo V6 is 420hp and needs premium…

https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/lf3/
A lotta potential with LF3/LF4 engines, particularly if you're not into emissions like GM has to be or you pick different turbos.

I see people talking a lot of turboing these engines, what is the benefit of that over supercharging? Isn't turbo lag a thing anymore?
Lag isn't a massive issue anymore, modern turbos are ruthlessly efficient, particularly if you pick a turbo that is correctly sized, but advances in valve and cam timing technology also make a big difference. Roots chargers are difficult to do on 60 degree V engines because of the narrow valley, and the intake manifolds end up being large and complex and hang off the side (e.g. you have to take the charger off to do spark plugs etc...) - exhaust manifolds are generally a lot easier to fabricate than intake manifolds that require precise alignment if a cast one doesn't exist. Centrifugal chargers exist, but are way less flexible than turbos (most of the centrifugal's boost comes on mid to top) can be and there's generally only so much boost you can get from them because they're tied to engine speed. Other big advantage for turbos on the LLT onwards engines is the integrated exhaust manifolds make it much easier and much cheaper to do, as far as I know the turbos that GM used are just bolted directly to the side of the heads, no manifold in between. Going turbo is also a lot more achievable at home when there's not many aftermarket kits around too.

Hey guys just need help with a project i am working on, so i am wanting to turbocharge my 06 Ve V6 and i am quite unsure if i should go two small turbos or one medium turbo and im trying to maybe get 580 hp if possible.
Thanks guys
Single or twin turbo is the least of your problems. 2 questions:
1. What's your budget?
2. Why 580hp? That seems like a very specific number.

Would probably also not bother going with the LE0 engine either (4L60e is a good box but the 6L50e would be a better choice), if you're going to pour that kind of cash into an Alloytec, get one that has at least both of the cams phased. There are companies that have kits, Goat Performance, Tonys Garage, and Proflo spring to mind. You'll probably want to budget an extra 5k on top of the kits for misc bits and pieces and tuning. Realistically, for 580hp at the treads you should really be budgeting complete engine and transmission rebuild with parts to suit too.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
A lotta potential with LF3/LF4 engines, particularly if you're not into emissions like GM has to be or you pick different turbos.
Yes there can be huge potential if reliability and emissions are sacrificed for dyno sheet bragging rights… and a lot of sitting by the side of the road waiting for a tow truck…

In the case of F1 turbo BMW M12/13 engines of the mid ‘80’s, reliability was heavily sacrificed to get to the front of the grid during qualifying. But these weapons were lucky to get 4 laps out of those turboed 1.5 ltr engines pushing 1400hp @ 930hp/litre :eek: These days, exhotic road cars are pushing upwards of 200hp/litre, some nearing 300 :eek: But such stuff are dreams to us financially limited mortals :p

In the real world, cost limited reliability and emissions ain’t easy which is probably why GM only gets 420 reliable and clean horsepower from their 3.6l turbo LF3 . But OP wants 580 hp from a NA Holden 3.6 litre, thats 38% more than GM’s LF3. That’s a lots more and not easy down under when the aftermarket isn’t well known for doing such V6 builds (or is it?)…

And such projects ain’t just the engine since you need other driveline, brake and suspension updates to keep the car reliable, safe and legal which requires even more $$$..

Interestingly the LSA pumps 580hp and one just needs to look at the drive line and cooling system of the HSV’s containing such engines to realise it ain’t just an engine mod to a V6 to get 580hp…

Really, if one has to ask such engine build questions on a forum without specifying their budget and their desired goals, for stuff like reliability, drivability, emission, legality, etc, etc, etc, for me it is just dreaming…

Good luck to him though… sometimes dreams come true :p

PS: if the LSA had the same specific power as the LF3, it’d pump out 720hp so I guess that shows how effective the LF3 individually variable intake and exhaust cam timing can be :p I like the LF3 :cool:

Last edited:

Karlaus

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega

Lag isn't a massive issue anymore, modern turbos are ruthlessly efficient, particularly if you pick a turbo that is correctly sized, but advances in valve and cam timing technology also make a big difference. Roots chargers are difficult to do on 60 degree V engines because of the narrow valley, and the intake manifolds end up being large and complex and hang off the side (e.g. you have to take the charger off to do spark plugs etc...) - exhaust manifolds are generally a lot easier to fabricate than intake manifolds that require precise alignment if a cast one doesn't exist. Centrifugal chargers exist, but are way less flexible than turbos (most of the centrifugal's boost comes on mid to top) can be and there's generally only so much boost you can get from them because they're tied to engine speed. Other big advantage for turbos on the LLT onwards engines is the integrated exhaust manifolds make it much easier and much cheaper to do, as far as I know the turbos that GM used are just bolted directly to the side of the heads, no manifold in between. Going turbo is also a lot more achievable at home when there's not many aftermarket kits around too.

Single or twin turbo is the least of your problems. 2 questions:
1. What's your budget?
2. Why 580hp? That seems like a very specific number.

Would probably also not bother going with the LE0 engine either (4L60e is a good box but the 6L50e would be a better choice), if you're going to pour that kind of cash into an Alloytec, get one that has at least both of the cams phased. There are companies that have kits, Goat Performance, Tonys Garage, and Proflo spring to mind. You'll probably want to budget an extra 5k on top of the kits for misc bits and pieces and tuning. Realistically, for 580hp at the treads you should really be budgeting complete engine and transmission rebuild with parts to suit too.
It was just a hp number that maybe i could reach but if not thats fine by me i am just looking for things to do for my project car

Karlaus

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega
Yes there can be huge potential if reliability and emissions are sacrificed for dyno sheet bragging rights… and a lot of sitting by the side of the road waiting for a tow truck…

In the case of F1 turbo BMW M12/13 engines of the mid ‘80’s, reliability was heavily sacrificed to get to the front of the grid during qualifying. But these weapons were lucky to get 4 laps out of those turboed 1.5 ltr engines pushing 1400hp @ 930hp/litre :eek: These days, exhotic road cars are pushing upwards of 200hp/litre, some nearing 300 :eek: But such stuff are dreams to us financially limited mortals :p

In the real world, cost limited reliability and emissions ain’t easy which is probably why GM only gets 420 reliable and clean horsepower from their 3.6l turbo LF3 . But OP wants 580 hp from a NA Holden 3.6 litre, thats 38% more than GM’s LF3. That’s a lots more and not easy down under when the aftermarket isn’t well known for doing such V6 builds (or is it?)…

And such projects ain’t just the engine since you need other driveline, brake and suspension updates to keep the car reliable, safe and legal which requires even more $$$..

Interestingly the LSA pumps 580hp and one just needs to look at the drive line and cooling system of the HSV’s containing such engines to realise it ain’t just an engine mod to a V6 to get 580hp…

Really, if one has to ask such engine build questions on a forum without specifying their budget and their desired goals, for stuff like reliability, drivability, emission, legality, etc, etc, etc, for me it is just dreaming…

Good luck to him though… sometimes dreams come true :p

PS: if the LSA had the same specific power as the LF3, it’d pump out 720hp so I guess that shows how effective the LF3 individually variable intake and exhaust cam timing can be :p I like the LF3 :cool:
Yeah i Don't no what i was thinking about that hp but i am just trying alot of things for this project

Bluesky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 60TH ANNIVERSARY
1644198203957.png
1644198215078.png
1644198255334.png
1644198306867.png

1644198418541.png

Here's a turbo VE International Wagon that was on Marketplace a few months ago for some inspiration on the turbo setup

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Here's a turbo VE International Wagon that was on Marketplace a few months ago for some inspiration on the turbo setup
Maybe on what not to do?

I'd expec such a turbo installation would have an issue with oil getting past the turbo seals on shutdown and then getting through teh intake system and burning up during startup (possibly producing plumes of smoke). Also, the placement of the turbos and aircleaner means it's a dry weather car only since giving it some stick can result in cherry red turbo's which wont like water thrown at them.... An engine also dislikes sucking volumes ofwater through the intake.

But i'm no expert so guess anything can be made to work by limiting it's operational envelope :p

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Any one remember the twin turbo 888 Team V6 Commodore Supercar, and the reason they didn't proceed with it ??
Not the 'convenient excuse' reason, but the real technical reason.