Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve V6 Turbo information

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Any one remember the twin turbo 888 Team V6 Commodore Supercar, and the reason they didn't proceed with it ??
Not the 'convenient excuse' reason, but the real technical reason.

I remember the car, but no idea why they didn't proceed with it....

Wasn't there talk at the time of the V8 taxis going to 6cyl turbo taxis?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
When they (888 and Holden) canned the V6, there was the usual PR and PC statements made about why they were not going to proceed with fitting the the 'new' engine, not sounding V8'ty enough, and that the V8 ZB was going to carry on the 'tradition'.
Can't find anything now, but I remember reading that the V6 was supposed to be as quick as the V8, but heat/cooling, cost, complexity and long term reliability were big deciding factors.
So, if the OP wants a big HP V6 a quick call to Roland Dane might unlock secrets.

View attachment 233312View attachment 233313View attachment 233314View attachment 233315
View attachment 233318

Here's a turbo VE International Wagon that was on Marketplace a few months ago for some inspiration on the turbo setup

All it needs is a new battery. :p

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Gotta cost a bucket load of money to build the 650hp V6TT race engine as was proposed and planned for use in supercars until canned… As is, the current V8 super race engine supposedly is a $150k beast and requires $35k rebuild every 4000 - 5000 kms :eek: I’d guess the V6TT would be more costly cause it’s newer, maybe :rolleyes:

The supercar V6TT was based off the 3.6 litre V6 twin-turbo run in General Motors’ Cadillac GT3 cars, the engine development being orchestrated by GM Racing from its headquarters in Michigan, USA.

Seems like a real interesting engine and I must say I don’t mind the sound :cool:

Some rather light reading (fluff really)

https://www.supercars.com/news/championship/triple-eight-reveals-sound-of-v6-turbo/

https://www.supercars.com/news/championship/first-track-test-for-holden-v6-turbo/

The following goes into very light detail about cooling and drivability and the need for bonnet vents for the intercoolers which are not allowed (in supercar series). Maybe that had some small part to do with it as Holden new they were being hung out to dry by GM and could not be bothered lobbying the rule makers for some exemption?

https://www.redbullampolracing.com.au/the-sandman-v6-tt-cuts-first-bathurst-laps/

Why was it dumped is really anyones guess but supercar racing is rusted on V8 rednecks cause there was a market in selling V8’s to them… Obviously times will change going forward but Holden is toast and no longer in the game :confused:

Last edited:

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
TT LY7????