Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE V8 auto radiator swap Straight forward or Not?

REVACHEV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 SS
Going to swap radiators soon. Only one vid on YouTube but only a six and rough as.
Anyways yeah fair enough a couple of bolts, hose clamps and electrical plugs to get it out sure.
Now what about the gearbox auto lines.
Here's my big query
1. Do the auto lines have clip fittings.
2. When I unattach them do the fittings have check valves to stop leakage when unclipped. If not how much tranny fluid will come out the hoses
3. How much tranny fluid will come out of old radiator
4. Do i need to prime the new radiator with tranny fluid.
5. From any answers I hope to establish whether there's a need to top up the auto and the big one how to unclip the auto hoses from radiator.
Thankyou for reading
Thinking bout a vid when I do it because no others out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Try and catch the oil as it comes out. Then you’ll know how much was in there and once it’s out, you can drain out the remaining oil.

There are clips that hold the radiator in at the top. Radiator pretty much lifts out once it is tilted forward.

Yes, trans lines have the GM push fit connectors. Lots of vids on removing these.

Oil will dribble out. You’ll be fine. There’s no check valve but it’s not going to be an issue.

May as well pump some oil into the new cooler once it’s in. Use a sauce bottle with a tube on it. Should work well enough.

If the oil level concerns you, get a trans service done after you do the job. Will be good to do regardless.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
May as well pump some oil into the new cooler once it’s in. Use a sauce bottle with a tube on it. Should work well enough.

Remember to use all the sauce first...:D