Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE V8 Head Bolts vs Head Studs

Boosted VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Commodore SSV Redline
Hi,

So I have recently installed a side mount CAPA supercharger on my L77 engine and as such, I need to do the DOD (AFM) delete soon. Since to do this I have to pull the top end apart and cam upgrade, I'm going to upgrade everything else while I'm there.

The only thing I'm unsure about is choosing between ARP head bolts or ARP head studs to suit the Higgins Ported Heads, I'm currently pulling 340rwkw on pump 98 and I'm expecting it to hit around 410rwkw - 440rwkw and around 750-800nm of torque on e85 once I've done everything.

With this in mind, what are everyone's thoughts on the benefits of head bolts vs head studs on the L77 engine?

Cheers

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
bolts will be fine for that power but if ur thinking bout going more in the future go the studs and u wont have to think about it ever again, the rod bolts will give out before the head bolts would

Boosted VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
bolts will be fine for that power but if ur thinking bout going more in the future go the studs and u wont have to think about it ever again, the rod bolts will give out before the head bolts would

Cheers mate, that is the hard part I'm thinking now it's going to be all I need, but I bet later on I'm going to want to pump more into it haha

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
thats what i thought when i got the blower... ill take it easy and it'll last a while then i went e85 and now im doing full iron block build for boost, if ur like i am it didnt take long to get use to the power then u want more and the saga starts only limited by ur wallet

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I'd choose bolts over studs for commodores just in case pull heads off in the car..not done ve/f but know on earlier models it's a pain in the arse.

If it's got a good tune even cheaper new oem bolts will do the job & much cheaper...think I'd rather pop headgasket rather than find limits of rod bolts.

As above if you want to go cray-cray build an iron short block while you keep car driving in case of delays & keep motivation up.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i was using stock head bolts on mine for few years of 14psi and ethanol and engine often seen 6500 and sometimes 7k rpm and they still held ok only noticed when i took heads off that a couple were loose (not loose, loose but didnt crack when undone) aside from that no signs of any issues there

Boosted VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah good point guys thanks for the feedback, I've heard that studs can make the heads a bugger to get back off. I think if I was ever going to go more power than that amount of kw though, I'd be doing it to a HSV tourer instead which I'm a bit off getting. Pretty keen to scare myself with this power haha