Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve - Vf engine and ecu swap

Discussion in 'General' started by Corzay, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Corzay

Corzay New Member

Members Ride:
    Vf Commodore
    I should also mention the Abs if need be, along with a lot of the other electronic 'computers' separate to the ecu relating to the drive if you will.

2. Corzay

Corzay New Member

Members Ride:
    Vf Commodore
    A lot of you are probably thinking this is quite the pointless task (especially relating to be apparent need of the Vf Ecu), I want to do all this for a few reasons. I want to create a mimic Vf from a Ve, I want a nice looking and functioning car, inside and out (and to be honest I hate the Ve interior), and I want something to toy around with! I'm not wanting to throw so much money away through boredom, the other reasons are obviously quite key too.

3. _R_J_K_

_R_J_K_ Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Zenki S14
    I"d buy a VE with an LS and be done with it. Even that would be cheaper. There's playing, and then there's what you have in mind.

Make sure you tally time and money spent for... reasons.

4. vongy10

vongy10 Active Member

Members Ride:
    CV8 Monaro V2
    You said you don't have a gold mine yet everything you want done will need one. Seriously better off actually buying a VF then trying to fit it's gear into a VE without knowing if it'll actually work.

- How much do you think a whole dash, center console and door trims will cost?
    - How much do you think all that running gear is going to cost?
    - How much do you think all of the electronics are going to cost?
    - How much do you think it's going to cost to get everything working?

Everything you want done will cost more than the car itself....
    If you can find a wrecked VF that's cheap then have at it...

5. Corzay

Corzay New Member

Members Ride:
    Vf Commodore
    I've been looking at a combination of both first and second hand parts. A lot from the wreckers, although in good condition. Some wreckers will actually legally say whether or not they can guarantee a part will work, and even give you a few months warranty. If I bought all of this brand new and had it all done professionally, it'd probably cost closer to 100k than 50k. I'm aware of said costs, I've put the time in for research. And everything I have suggested is reasonably priced, depending on whether or not a lot of Ve parts will be compatible (or able to be made compatible). My budget is ideally around the 25k mark, and as I've said, I've put the time in to come up with this number. Including a few extra thousand to go into things I'd have professionals do. And if it all went to ****, I'd just convert it back into what it originally was, and sell of the vf parts. I'd lose a couple thousand if that happened, although the amount I'm researching for this, it should be good to go. Also to be noted for those saying it will take up a lot of time, I know this, I'm not planning on using or needing this car until completion (I have another car).

6. Hannah B

Hannah B New Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Equipe 2011 VE series II
    I'm trying to understand all this cause I've just gone under an engine swap from VE series II EQUIPE to 2012 OMEGA and my cars been showing up on the dash all these faults that aren't existent and my oxygen sensor wasn't detecting and now it doesn't start and had black smoke coming out of it when it did start.
    It was jolty when I drove it. Holden told me it shouldn't be a computer problem because its 2011 - 2014 are all the same
    But i know they are bad mechanics and don't know what they are doing
    what do i do?

7. UnmedicatedLunatic

UnmedicatedLunatic Member

Members Ride:
    VEII SV6
    It would be cheaper to smack yourself in the head with a hammer until you think it looks like a vf. That or just buy one for half the price of the dumbest car project in history.

8. CommodoreJunkie

CommodoreJunkie New Member

Members Ride:
    2005 Vz Sv6 commodore
    Yeah I’m thinking about swapping the LY7 in my vz sv6 for the LFX engine. Keen to hear how your build goes man!

9. Kyemasclet

Kyemasclet New Member

Members Ride:
    Ve ss
    I'm not sure if this was mentioned quite afew comments to go thru, but do any of you know if the Vf motor will pretty well fit right up in the ve?

I'm looking at putting a 6.2 vf motor in my ve ss ute (current motor will more then likely cost me more to fix then to buy this motor in the end run) I know I'm going to need to alter my harness and most likely remapping the ecu but ofcourse only if the motors going to fit aha any insight would be appreciated

10. Ryan.Peterson1

Ryan.Peterson1 New Member

Members Ride:
    2011 VE SV6 Commodore
    Corzay, did you end up doing the ECU swap for the LLT? I am looking into doing something similar as the E69 ecu in the VE is limited to tune and I am running boost. So the E39 Ecu is better suited.

Cheers,

11. Johnn3000

Johnn3000 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Commodore
    Hey there just wondering if you had any success on this swap? I'm currently undergoing same thing. Trying to find things in forums becomes impossible when you ask for help and all people do is criticise your hopes. It is ten times cheaper to just swap things rather than buying a vf. Anything can be done at the end of the day with a bit of programming when you know someone. Let me know what you ended up doing and how you were successful.

12. _R_J_K_

_R_J_K_ Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Zenki S14
    Yeah, nah (at least not for an LY7 like OP wanted). Maybe if you have no value for your time and the amount of it you invest in something like this. Also, "programming" (whatever that is) will only take you so far on factory components if the looms/plugs, protocols used, and possibly ECU are totally different and don't even fit together, not to mention the entirely different injection system and all of the aforementioned ancillaries specific to each model that run the injection/SIDI system.

The point people were making was that he didn't have to buy a VF because there was already a VE that came from factory with an LFX (particularly with the budget he said was available to him and his specified application and how he was choosing to source parts), and given this thread was started almost 4 years ago it would be even more affordable than back then to pick one up and negated much of the "savings" he would have made with his particular budget.

Last edited: May 29, 2019