Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE/VF Genuine Roof Rack Fitting Instructions

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V6 MY17, VX Calais V6 2000
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a set of genuine roof racks for my VF Calais but unfortunately they did not come with fitting instructions.

I understand that the sealant on the roof joint needs to be modified to suit. I just want to make sure I'm doing it correctly and ensure that any mods don't affect the factory waterproofing.

Does anyone have a copy of the fitting instructions available for download or could possibly point me in the right direction?

Cheers

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

harveyconnor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SV6

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Just a heads up, I've mentioned it before that the roof rails are potentially susceptable to water ingress. I've had it in my wagon. When they were off for paint work, the panel beaters applied silicon both sides and said they see it all the time with roof racks that attach to the rails (and carry load). Mine never had racks and it still took in some water. I went with removable racks after that. Not saying sell you racks, just you might want to consider sealing it first.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Just a heads up, I've mentioned it before that the roof rails are potentially susceptable to water ingress. I've had it in my wagon. When they were off for paint work, the panel beaters applied silicon both sides and said they see it all the time with roof racks that attach to the rails (and carry load). Mine never had racks and it still took in some water. I went with removable racks after that. Not saying sell you racks, just you might want to consider sealing it first.

the install instructions provide steps re the sealing of the area where the racks

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
the install instructions provide steps re the sealing of the area where the racks
Good to know. Makes you wonder why it isn't sealed properly to begin with. I've attached racks to other cars directly to the rail and that haven't needed sealing. Different/better design I guess.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

RennRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Sportwagon
Thanks dgp,
This includes the roof rack instructions.
Exactly what I was looking for ;)
Cheers!

@VFCalais2017 would you be able to point me in the right direction for the roof rack instructions pls? I found the accesories manual at the end of this thread, but it doesn't include roof racks.
I'm looking to remove them from a car i just bought, and keen to see if i need to re-seal the strip when i replace the caps.

Thanks.