Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE,VF SV6 Ute questions...

SSVREDLINE2014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
There are so many VE's still around that I don't know what the chances of having the problem are ... I think they're still a safer bet than an earlier HFV6 incarnation ... but I'd treat all V6 VE1's the same in that regard.

If not a series 1 VF then series 2 VE..

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
ve may have a bigger payload from memory.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
ve may have a bigger payload from memory.
True, but I've just done a comparo, looks like it's only 5kg (650kg vs 645kg); so given how carefully we measure such things (not! :)) it's probably not much of a Thing.
The extra power (210kW vs 195kW) is probably something you'd slightly feel day-to-day but also probably wouldn't automatically win the VE2 driver too many drag races. :)
Head & side airbags in the VE2 might be desirable, and if you're leaving the stereo as-is the VE2's inputs/bluetooth might also be desirable.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
True, but I've just done a comparo, looks like it's only 5kg (650kg vs 645kg); so given how carefully we measure such things (not! :)) it's probably not much of a Thing.
The extra power (210kW vs 195kW) is probably something you'd slightly feel day-to-day but also probably wouldn't automatically win the VE2 driver too many drag races. :)
Head & side airbags in the VE2 might be desirable, and if you're leaving the stereo as-is the VE2's inputs/bluetooth might also be desirable.
A VE sedan omega v6 weighs in at 1690kg while a VE Calais v6 weighs in at 1780kg, specs here. That’s a 90kg difference in sedan kerb mass which must impact sedan payload...

Unfortunately that linked site doesn’t list VE ute kerb weights or GVM and I haven’t found such info elsewhere with a quick google.

Its frustrating that kerb weight & GVM info should be so difficult to find for a comercial vehicle like a ute. But it seems that Holden isn’t loose with such weight specs and motor magazines only seem to care about 0-100 times... Luckily GVM must be listed on a commercial vehicle‘s compliance plate so it’s always specified (unlike kerb or tare weight)...

But that above linked site does list VZ ute kerb weight which varies from 1669 to 1942 with a GVM 2685. I posted about this here. The VZ upper model utes do loose considerably more than 5 kg payload due to being porky (and different rear suspension maybe?).

So just curious whether the VE ute kerb weight has been narrowed to such an extent between the base and upper spec VE utes models?

Do agree that it’s somewhat academic as few would bother actually weighing stuff they chuck in the back.... and power would be more noticeable than an overloaded ute.....

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
A VE sedan omega v6 weighs in at 1690kg while a VE Calais v6 weighs in at 1780kg, specs here. That’s a 90kg difference in sedan kerb mass which must impact sedan payload...

Unfortunately that linked site doesn’t list VE ute kerb weights or GVM and I haven’t found such info elsewhere with a quick google.

Its frustrating that kerb weight & GVM info should be so difficult to find for a comercial vehicle like a ute. But it seems that Holden isn’t loose with such weight specs and motor magazines only seem to care about 0-100 times... Luckily GVM must be listed on a commercial vehicle‘s compliance plate so it’s always specified (unlike kerb or tare weight)...

But that above linked site does list VZ ute kerb weight which varies from 1669 to 1942 with a GVM 2685. I posted about this here. The VZ upper model utes do loose considerably more than 5 kg payload due to being porky (and different rear suspension maybe?).

So just curious whether the VE ute kerb weight has been narrowed to such an extent between the base and upper spec VE utes models?

Do agree that it’s somewhat academic as few would bother actually weighing stuff they chuck in the back.... and power would be more noticeable than an overloaded ute.....

VE SV6 Ute

Tare Weight: 1650kg

Towing Capacity (braked): 1600kg

Payload: approx. 650kg

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon

Unfortunately that linked site doesn’t list VE ute kerb weights or GVM and I haven’t found such info elsewhere with a quick Google.
I always try RedBook first if comparing stuff, they usually have whatever specs the manufacturer released. 'Tis where the official 650kg VE SV6 ute payload figure vs 645kg VE2 ute payload figure came from.
They don't always have everything, but given that stuff like that is often wanted by the likes of insurers they'll often have it.

Of course one related reason to at leadst consider @hjtrbo's XR6T suggestion is because the nasty old rear suspension allows a ... ah, no, crap, the FG only has a 565kg payload!

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
The original brochure for the VE Utes directs you to the Holden website for info on weights and payload calculations which now can't be found and obviously no longer exists.

The brochure also has a detailed rundown on how to calculate the payload and apart from subtracting the kerb weight from the GVM it also requires input of the weight from items like the towbar & tongue, sports bar, ladder rack, rims & low profile tyres and any other items fitted or carried by the vehicle.

All these extras is why they don't signify a payload weight without first checking their site.

It's stupid that they then delete the info from their site as if owners don't need to calculate the payload on older vehicles.

The kerb weight for the more up spec VE SSV Ute is 1777kg.

I've owned a few of these Utes and I have a note written down in my original paperwork that the SSV without anything added had a payload of 659kg, that info came from the dealer at the time I purchased it.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Forg @panhead, found this VE Holden Ute Brochure.

According to the brochure, the GVM is specified on the complance label while max front and rear axle weights are in the Owners Manual! Again, according to Holden's brochure, your dealer has the specs for Kerb Mass for the various models! WTF??? such information one needs to safely determine allowable max payload shouldn't be spread across various documents and a dealer... it should be defined on the compliance and other labels...

Shouldn't be so difficult for Holden to include both Kerb Mass & GVM on the compliance label and on the spec sheet within the Ute Brochure. Shouldn't be so difficult for regulators to require a new label specifying weight of an accessory be fixed on the B pillar of comercial vehicles whenever accessories are added. As is, when adding a towbar, there is a requirement for a sticker to be added which lists towbar part # and load ratings but doesn't list the bars actual weight. With a commercial vehicles, it shouldn't be difficult to work things out... ustes are comemrcial vehicles...

In @SSVREDLINE2014 case, it is probably not really so relevant whether there is even 100kg difference between base model and top model utes. Guess it depends on what and how he will use his "work" ute... I've seen plenty of work utes that don't see mud and don't often carry any loads of conseqence as it's the boss's play thing... Still, the regulators should see it as a commercial vehicle and require such info be clearly defined and readily available.

Similar is stated on this VFII Ute Brochure from Holden media site...

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon

True, we often don’t know the weight of stuff but just yesterday I picked up some wall tiles in the VF2 ute...31 identical boxes each marked 14kg so 434kg all up. I’ve never had such weight in the back and knew 434kg shouldn’t be an issue but it did have me quickly reaching for the owners manual & then googling when I saw how low the back was sitting....for the time being, .no longer scared of snakes.