Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE vs VE Z series

Jay bath

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6
Hi all Holden lovers
I am looking to buy Holden SV6, 2011 or 2012.
This is first time I am going to own a Holden, can someone please school me on the important things I should do my homework on. There are couple of questions I would like to ask:
1. What is the difference between a standard SV6 and SV6 Z series?
2. Which year did the SV6 Z series came out?
3. Some SV6's don't have the Z badge on the side but people say, they are Z series...how can one tell the difference without looking at the badge?
4. Do all SV6's are trip tropic or just normal automatic?
5. Which one is better?

Shm1ck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Thunder Ute
As already posted

The rims are the big giveaway, also late model Z Series will have machine faced Thunder Wheels

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
I have owned a 2011 MY11 SV6 and a 2013 MY12.5 SV6 Z.

Differences are as follows:

1. 19" Thunder Wheels as previously stated, though some later ones had silver rather than gunmetal grey.

2. Rear View Camera as standard, though plenty of VE II SV6 already had these.

3. Rear Park Assist as standard, though plenty of VE II SV6 already had these.

4. Z Series Badges.

5. Leather Bolstered Seats.

6. Z Series Carpet Mats.

Mechanically they are supposed to be identical.

MY Z is very late in production, and I have found out that I have the VF Windscreen, which is thicker than the VE. My MY12.5 also seems to have more torque down low than the MY11. This may be incidental, or it could be that it has the VF tuning.

Provided you buy a Series II, I would expect that you will be happy with the car.

gomax

Reaction score
Members Ride
sv6
I have owned a 2011 MY11 SV6 and a 2013 MY12.5 SV6 Z.

MY Z is very late in production, and I have found out that I have the VF Windscreen, which is thicker than the VE.

Hi

What is your build date?

How did you determine windscreen info?

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
March 2013.

Cannot remember for sure where I heard it. Think it might have been one of the car magazine write-ups, which mentioned that it had been a running change late in the MY12.5 range.

SimoHDK

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE Commodore SV6 Z-Series - Manual
There's more then that in MY12.5. I have a Feb 2013 build and have noticed the following:

- There's a rubber strip in between the front and rear door that you can see from the outside. It is not there on earlier Series 2 Models (Previously it's just a gap between the two doors, now it's a rubber seal)
- Tweeters have a different grill pattern, which is made of of many smaller holes (Used to be fewer, bigger holes)
- Loss of traction flashes an orange light in the cluster, previously it would appear on the LCD screen
- When traction control is turned off, an orange light is permanently visible in the cluster
- Additional chassis work present in the engine bay (and godknows where else), which is disused in VE, but needed for VF (Additional bolt holes, studs etc)

Unknown:
- Possibly running a VF tune
- Not sure about the glass
- Whatever else....

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
There's a rubber strip in between the front and rear door that you can see from the outside. It is not there on earlier Series 2 Models (Previously it's just a gap between the two doors

84258879-EBF5-4A6C-9D06-9EC722EA2995.jpg

Indeed, nice work, would like to see a pic with door open showing complete door seal.

- Different indicator stalk and DIC software displays cruise control commanded speed in increments.
- Different fuel cap.
- Repositioned horn on drivers side.

Last edited:

Sambo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SV6 Z series
I have the z series and simoHDK has pretty much hit the nail on the head, however mine also came with chrome trim around the upper and lower grill as well as chrome trim around the windows.

Also I'm not quite sure but I think the exhaust manifold may be different (Single pipe), But this could be a difference between series one and two or a difference for the z series. Someone else may know more.

benjo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS S2 Thunder Ute
There's more then that in MY12.5. I have a Feb 2013 build and have noticed the following:

- Tweeters have a different grill pattern, which is made of of many smaller holes (Used to be fewer, bigger holes)
- Loss of traction flashes an orange light in the cluster, previously it would appear on the LCD screen
- When traction control is turned off, an orange light is permanently visible in the cluster

My MY12 Thunder has the small holed tweeters and also the traction control light displays on the cluster and when TC is off it puts the orange symbol on the cluster as well, so maybe some of these changes started before the Z MY 12.5 series ?